Old 11-12-2004, 12:18 PM

Default a flower spike..or is it?

Early this year I bought a very nice Cymbidium orchid from a local
plant store, very nice it was indeed with lots of leaves and two very
impressive flower spikes which lasted for weeks.

Eventually they faded and I placed the plant outside away from direct
sunlight in the back garden where it sat adding some greenery in my
border very happily for some months. (UK north east coast)

A coupe of weeks ago the really cold weather came calling so I brought
it back indoors.

I have notived a small spike forming (about 4" so far) and wondered if
its too early to be a flower spike.

Can anyone give me some advie on how best to get them flowering?
Chris

Old 12-12-2004, 02:18 PM
diane

My first cymbidium (mini red velvet) is in bloom at the moment. It is the
focal point in my kitchen, which leads to a cute story. I was cooking
(burning) steaks one night and my husband ( who could care less about
plants) ran the plant into the bathroom so the smoke wouldnt hurt the
blooms.

--
Diane

"Steve" wrote in message

Early this year I bought a very nice Cymbidium...................

A coupe of weeks ago the really cold weather came calling so I brought
it back indoors.

I have notived a small spike forming (about 4" so far) and wondered if
its too early to be a flower spike.

Can anyone give me some advie on how best to get them flowering?
Chris

It's not too early for a spike to form. I've had them spike much earlier
than this but I live where it gets cold earlier than where you live (and
cold weather is what triggers spike formation).
Is your "spike" still round in cross section and pointed at the tip? If it
is becoming more oval and starting to split into two leaves at the tip,
then it IS leaves. It may be a little early to tell the difference, since
you are not used to looking for the differences. After it grows another 2
inches it should be very obvious. I hope you get lots of flowers. My first
orchid wasn't a Cymbidium but the first orchid to flower for me was.
Pretty exciting!

Steve

Old 14-12-2004, 11:02 PM

Further to my original posting...
Tthe orchid is now showing signs of three spikes....looking good so
far..

Old 14-12-2004, 11:02 PM

Further to my original posting...
Tthe orchid is now showing signs of three spikes....looking good so
far..

to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 04:38 AM
offer:flower pot,Products including Ceramic Flower Pot,Imitate Porcelain Flower Pot,Wood Flower Pot,Stone Flower Pot,Imitate Stone Flower Pot,Hanging Flower Pot,Flower Pot Wall Hanging,Bonsai Pots,Root Carving&Hydroponics Pots [email protected] Texas 0 07-09-2004 07:55 PM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 07:43 PM
Phalaenopsis flower spike Jimmy Lloyd Orchids 1 25-07-2004 08:03 AM
Phalaenopsis flower spike Jimmy Lloyd Orchids 2 22-07-2004 12:04 AM