Old 12-12-2004, 01:44 AM
sandra

Default Phal in My South Window

Hello Everyone,
My sister's phal had 5 babies last year03, and now they're mature
enough to bloom.....
The problem is, I don'thave a North or East Window, one that's
availabale anyway...
I was wondering....maybe with some light to moderate shading, would it
be okay to let my phal rest a few feet away from my South Window....I
would use the West, but the light is too strong, and too direct....
I'm just a little worried, because I've been reading that only certain
orchids can handle Southern exposure...Anyway, Any help would be
greatly appreciated....
Sandra

Old 12-12-2004, 05:40 AM
Xi Wang

Really? I always thought that the best windows were in the order of
east, south, west and then lastly north. Maybe someone can correct me
on this if I am mistaken.

Cheers,
Xi

Old 12-12-2004, 05:44 AM

Hi Sandra. Mostly what your going to hear is Phals like light but not
too intense. Try a sheer curtain that lets light in and it'll probably
be ok. I have phals. in an east window and use a plant light above them
on cloudy days and they're doing fine. I once heard someone discribe
how they held their hand above their orchid to see if it cast a shadow -
that way they could tell the degree of light it was getting. Good luck
and remember your window might not only give too much light but also
heat. Your phal. will dry out faster.

Burr

Old 12-12-2004, 05:58 AM
Bob Walsh

Sandra,

Start by setting the phal two feet away from the window.
When the sun shines it's brightest on the phal feel the leaves, if warm to
the touch move it further away, if cool you can move it closer maybe 6
inches at a time.
You don't want phal leaves getting warm or they will burn.

Bob
oups.com...

Old 12-12-2004, 06:15 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 04:40:20 GMT, Xi Wang
wrote:

Really? I always thought that the best windows were in the order of
east, south, west and then lastly north. Maybe someone can correct me
on this if I am mistaken.

Cheers,
Xi

It all depends on where you live and what kind of plant you have.
A Phal that is slowly acclimated to more light can take more than
this one has probably been getting. It will not like direct sun
on the leaves unless it is very early in the day and not for any
length of time. If you grow other plants in this area, you are
probably safe. IF not make sure there is a sheer curtain to
break the light &/or the plant is back and does not get direct
sunlight.
SuE

Old 12-12-2004, 11:49 AM
kenty ;-\)

The phal should do fine there in the winter,but as soon as the sun become
strong in spring ,i would move it further into the room.I wouldnt place the
plant to close to the window as at night can become a cold area,especially
on a windowsill with curtains drawn. I have seen someone
growing/re-flowering phals on a bay windowsill with really good results.

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 12-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Reka

kenty ;-) wrote:
The phal should do fine there in the winter,but as soon as the sun become
strong in spring ,i would move it further into the room.I wouldnt place the
plant to close to the window as at night can become a cold area,especially
on a windowsill with curtains drawn. I have seen someone
growing/re-flowering phals on a bay windowsill with really good results.

You see, I would have said the opposite. The cold nights are good for
them, as long as it doesn't get below 13°C/55°C. But you will need a
sheer curtain now while the sun is low, and more so as the days get
longer. Some tissue paper taped to the window behind the plant helps,
too, if you don't have or want a curtain.
Where are you? That can make a big difference as well.

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

Reclaim Your Inbox!

Rediscover the Web!
http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/firefox/

They're free!

Phal in My South Window sandra Orchids 0 12-12-2004 01:44 AM
South window The Enigma Orchids 2 23-12-2003 05:42 AM
Orchids in the Kitchen window Douglas Bolt Orchids 42 28-02-2003 12:48 AM
Orchids in the Kitchen window - Thanks for sharing your pics profpam Orchids 2 25-02-2003 05:39 AM
Seed starting in sunny window: additional light required Tim B Gardening 1 27-01-2003 08:06 PM