Old 15-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Drbob92031

Default HOW DO I PROTECT FROM COLD ???

Thanks for all the help in the past. Here in South East Florida the wind chill
has gone into the low 30' s and the weather report suggests protecting
susceptable plants. I have some Dens that have 3 to 4 foot spikes with blooms
on the ends How do I protect these from the cold? The outside temperature is in
the low 40's and the wind is 10 to 15 mph. hence the low 30's wind chill .In
the past when they needed peotection, the Dens were much smaller, so I was able
to wrap them in a sheet. Looked like they had diapers on. Oh yes, they are
hanging from trees in baskets so they are totally exposed. My orchids are
shivering. HELP!!
Bob
Old 18-12-2004, 11:41 PM
Drbob92031

Thanks for all the info. It seemd that they have weathered (pun) fine.
Bob

Old 20-12-2004, 03:18 PM
orchids3

I grow in Jacksonville Florida. I leave Nobile Dendrobiums and
Cymbidiums outside under shade cloth until it reaches 22 degrees. A
misting system comes on at 34 degrees F and goes off at 34. Catts,
Phals. oncids vandas etc all go inside when the temperate start to
reach 50 at night. I keep the greenhouse at 58. One cymbidium has been
outside for the past 12 years in full sun and exposed to all
temperatures and sun . I didnt water it or fertilize. It has lived but
not flourished. I take care of my plants - this one is only any
experiment.

Old 23-12-2004, 04:55 PM
Drbob92031

Hi orchids 3;
You make me feel much more secure in leaving my orchids outside in 40 or so
degree nights. All are in full bloom.
Bob