Old 15-12-2004, 09:25 PM
wendy7

Default Doritus pulcherrima

How do you grow Doritus pulcherrima. I have read that it's culture
is like that of Phalaenopsis?
Wondering if they can be mounted as mine seems to re-root almost like
keikis & then jump out of the pot?
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 15-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Dewitt

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:25:57 -0800, "wendy7"
wrote:

How do you grow Doritus pulcherrima. I have read that it's culture
is like that of Phalaenopsis?
Wondering if they can be mounted as mine seems to re-root almost like
keikis & then jump out of the pot?

I don't see why it couldn't be mounted. Mine certainly developed lots
of aerial roots in any case. I think Phals in general can be mounted
as long as you can provide enough moisture that way.
http://www.clanorchids.com/pages/dorpul.htm says:
"It enjoys the same culture as Phalaenopsis. Doritis can handle higher
light, and less water, if adapted slowly. "

deg

Old 15-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Al

Doritis pulcherrima is terrestrial in nature (and maybe lythophytic: ie
growing on rocks in shallow beds of moss and humus). Never the less, it's
culture is similar to Phals which are primarily epiphytes.

The roots grow all year and it tends to produce a flush of new roots in a
collar all around the base when disturbed. This and the erect inflorescence
are some adaptations associated with a terrestrial habitat.

Can you grow it mounted? I have never seen it grown mounted. :-) It does
well in medium to coarse media that is perhaps a bit more uniformly moist
than Phals. I have no luck growing it in sphagnum moss, but this has never
made sense to me. It does well in a bark mix. It does very well in the
same type of media you might put Paphs in. I have seen it form big clumps
while grown in a High Porosity peat based "Pro-Mix" (Mud, as they call it
when Phals are grown in it) but I have never tried it this way.

It forms basal clumps very easily. It is also the one Phal-like species I
associate with "terminal spike" issues.

Old 15-12-2004, 10:53 PM
wendy7

Thanks Al, for all the info & correct terminologies like basal clumps
which is what I have.
I will try them in my paph mix. I may even try one in semi-hydro.
Please could you explain the "terminal spike" issues?

Old 15-12-2004, 11:01 PM
Al

terminal spikes are when the flower spikes comes right out of the crown,
between the two top most leaves. The plant then, either dies or makes a
basal kiekie or some such side growth in order to continue living, because
it can't keep growing from the crown. This happens in Phals sometimes and
probably has many causes, both cultural and genetic, but I always seem to
associate it with Dorits pulcherrima and hybrids with phals that have D
pulcherrima in their background. This may be an erroneous association.