Old 15-12-2004, 11:15 PM
J Fortuna

Default rejoicing in Paphs

Came home early today, since I am feeling kind of sick, but before going off
to bed early, I decided to examine all my orchids for some kind of activity,
and my Paphs caught my attention.

My paph malipoense has a new growth that's already one and a half inches
long (only discovered it this evening), so I am excited since it's not only
in tall spike now but is more likely to someday spike again.

I really enjoy the sequential Paph (Paph Amelia Hart 'Alexandria') that I
got in October: it's on it's third flower already. What I like about it
especially is what I jokingly call "the changing of the guard": the older
flower will still look fresh a couple of days before it wilts, and then it
starts looking a bit peaked, and then the flower falls off on its own and at
almost the same time (or within a couple of days) a new flower opens. Is
this typical of sequential Paphs in general? This is cool. What I don't like
about another one of my paphs (Paph Deception II) is that when the flower
gets old it looks really ugly with a brown spot developing on its otherwise
white pouch, and thus the flower really needs to be cut off since it's butt
ugly at that point (though it's really beautiful until this happens). Since
this was my first Paph, I at first assumed that all Paphs get ugly when the
flower is old, and that was a bit off-putting for me, since most Phal blooms
age more gracefully (in my opinion). But the Paph Amelia Hart showed me
otherwise.

In addition, two of my Paph hybrids (that finished flowering in October and
November) are growing something new again (either a new leaf or a new spike,
don't know which yet, though if the rule of spike in same direction and leaf
in opposite is applied, I suspect that at least one of them is likely in
spike again).

Paphs are neat! :-)

Joanna

Old 16-12-2004, 11:08 AM
Ray

Sorry you're feeling ill. Hope it passes quickly.

Yep, many paphs get really ragged before they drop or get cut off, but I
think that's less disappointing than some (especially phrags) that drop
the blossom when it still looks good, making one wonder why it couldn't just
last those extra days ON the inflorescence!

..

Old 16-12-2004, 11:55 PM
francis marion

Couldn't agree with you more about your comment regarding Phrags.

Drives me nuts to have 2 beautiful blooms and just be waiting for the 3rd to
open, so I can take some nice photos and.................... boom. It drops
a perfectly shaped, beautiful bloom!!

First couple of times it happened I thought for sure that I was doing
something to cause it. I finally found out from some local growers that it
was quite normal:-(

Now, I take them and press them in an old phone book. They make interesting
dried specimens.

If your given lemons, make lemon-aid!!

Take care,
Francis Marion

Old 17-12-2004, 02:49 PM
ARIET B

And, if you have a flat-bed scanner, you can place that perfect flower down on
the bed- do not PRESS it down - lightly place a piecew of paper over it, and
scan it. Then you will have a lovely, detail picture of the flower.
Elinor

Old 17-12-2004, 03:00 PM
francis marion

And, if you have a flat-bed scanner,

I do!!

you can place that perfect flower down on
the bed- do not PRESS it down - lightly place a piecew of paper over it,

and
scan it. Then you will have a lovely, detail picture of the flower.

And I'll give it a try,

Thanks,
F Marion

Old 17-12-2004, 03:02 PM
wendy7

Hi there Elinor, haven't seen you in a bit?
So when you scan, you don't put the lid/top over the flower, just
a piece of paper?

--
Cheers Wendy
Ps...(still limping with Plantar fasciitis!)

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 18-12-2004, 01:55 AM
ARIET B

In article myCwd.104$iH.63@fed1read02, "wendy7"
writes:

So when you scan, you don't put the lid/top over the flower, just
a piece of paper?

That's right..I don't squash anything! I would have tried black paper, if I
had any, at that time. It was several years ago...but I was pleased with the
results.

Elinor in "cool" Florida (!?)

rejoicing in Paphs J Fortuna Orchids 0 15-12-2004 11:15 PM
Help! Brown spots on deflasked Paphs Elpaninaro Orchids 3 14-04-2003 03:44 PM
Problem with Paphs TRAINMAN9 Orchids 1 16-03-2003 05:32 AM
Paphs in Vietnam, where to buy(markets)? Jonathan Phua Orchids 3 20-02-2003 11:03 AM
paphs v. phrags Cardigan Orchids 2 12-02-2003 11:25 AM