Old 16-12-2004, 02:14 PM
J Fortuna

Default question about catt

I have a question about my catt, which is actually an LC if it makes a
difference:

It's newest growth has been rather slim, not much pseudobulb there, but it
already has a sheath on this growth as well (it cam with two sheaths when I
bought it, and the flowers on the a bit older growth are now fading. This
newest growth developed brown spots on its outer "layer" (or whatever the
plant's skin is called around the pseudobulb) and then this outer layer
became dry. The upper part of this same growth, the sheath with bud within,
continues to look green and healthy. Is all this normal? Or is something
wrong? I figure maybe the pseudobulb is developing and as part of this
development process it sheds its outer skin like a snake. :-)

I don't know much about Catts, all I know is that if my Phal or Paph behaved
that way I would be worried, but I know that this is not a Phal or Paph so I
figure maybe it's normal (?).

Thank you for any advice, including more terminology so that I can describe
this better.

Joanna

Old 16-12-2004, 02:32 PM
J Fortuna

Correction: make that second to newest growth, whenever I refer to newest
growth, I just noticed that there is a very small new growth coming out from
under the tattered dry outer layer's bottom edge. So I figure there are two
possibilities, either 1) it's doing very well; or 2) it's doing very poorly
and trying to frantically reproduce to save it's life. I am guessing 1, but
would appreciate a confirmation. If you need more info before giving a
diagnosis, please ask me questions so that I know what else to look for to
determine this plant's health.

Thanks,
Joanna

Old 16-12-2004, 02:46 PM
danny

The layers around the pseudobulb (bracts?) will dry up, that is normal.
They are just there to support and protect the growth as it is developing.
As long as the pseudobulb and leaf look healthy it is nothing to worry
about.
-danny

Old 16-12-2004, 08:05 PM
Kenni Judd

Joanna: Yes, the shedding is normal. I encourage you to carefully peel
away the remnants, because the bract material has served its good purpose
(protecting the tender new pb) and is now doing nothing more than providing
hiding places for unwanted "livestock." Be esp. careful down around the
base, where the new "eyes" form.

As far as the new sheath forming before the pb is fully grown -- it may be
normal for your plant, some Catts just bloom that way. Or, it may be a sign
that the plant's schedule has been a little disrupted [e.g., travel, new
conditions in your care compared to where it lived before]. If the latter,
it should return to normal by the next blooming.

So far, I don't see any cause for alarm. If this new pb stops growing
altogether, before it reaches or exceeds the height of the pbs "behind" it,
then I would be mildly concerned [this, too, could be caused by change of
environment]. If the next new growth also tops out small, then I would be
seriously concerned [same principle as each phal leaf should be at least as
long as the ones below it].
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 17-12-2004, 12:33 AM
J Fortuna

Thank you, danny and Kenni! I shall carefully peal off the bract material as
suggested, and I will continue watching the plant's health.
Thanks,
Joanna

question about catt J Fortuna Orchids 0 16-12-2004 02:14 PM
Catt bowringiana question. Boystrup Pb, ann,... Orchids 7 20-09-2003 01:14 AM
Catt growing pattern (strang?) gal Orchids 7 18-06-2003 11:32 AM
Catt light question Ryan greenthumbs Orchids 2 11-06-2003 10:56 PM
burned leaf tips on a Catt Terry Orchids 4 05-02-2003 11:01 PM