Old 15-12-2004, 10:46 AM
Larry

Default keeping orchids warm

Hello. In the summer most of my orchids are outside in the screened-in porch
or hanging outside in trees. In the past I have moved the plants indoors
during the colder days. However, this year I bought lighted shelving so they
can be kept warmer outside. I also purchased a vinyl tent that covers the
whole unit.

Question: I live in Jacksonville, FL, and it does get cold at night during
the winters (for example, down to mid-upper 20s tonight/now). But, I don't
think the current lights are not keeping the plants warm enough as it gets
that cold. The shelving has 3 light fixtures (1 per shelve), using two,
40-watt wide spectrum lamps per fixture (go to
http://www.indoorgardensupplies.com, click on flora-carts, combo BA3-SE2 at
the bottom).

Any suggestions on how to keep them warmer within the shelving unit I
already have? Different bulbs?

What is the minimum temperature I should aim for? I remember hearing 55
degrees at one point but am not sure if this is true. I have several
different orchid varieties.

Thanks in advance!

Larry
laf_at_lwpes_dot_org

keeping orchids warm Larry Orchids 14 17-12-2004 12:16 PM
Warm Tolerant Cymbidiums [email protected] Orchids 6 27-03-2003 06:44 AM
Anyone use a space heater in home for warm growing orchids? Elpaninaro Orchids 8 10-03-2003 05:44 AM
When is it going to warm up? Bonnie Espenshade Ponds 3 12-02-2003 04:55 PM
When is it going to warm up Nedra Ponds 0 11-02-2003 06:55 PM