Old 19-12-2004, 12:00 AM
danny

The Hunter "Care-Free" humidifiers that don't need replaceable filters are
very nice. Get the largest one you can find. I've had the 3.5 Gallon
output (the tank is actually about 2 1/2 gallons?) model for over a year and
it works great. If you have very dry air it will probably need to be
refilled daily, it may last several days if your air isn't too dry. If you
want something that lasts longer, you'll need one of the console humidifiers
with a bigger tank or figure out how to hook it up to a water supply (I need
to figure that out some day).
-danny

"sandra" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello I was wondering....can anyone please suggest a room humidifer for
me that works exceptionally well with orchids.
I've been reading some reviews, and I've gotten a lot of mixed signals
about some of the humidifiers I've been looking at.
I'm leaving my very first orchid at home with my sister until I can
obtain a nice humidifier that works well with it.
-Sandra

Old 19-12-2004, 05:09 AM
John DeGood

danny wrote:
The Hunter "Care-Free" humidifiers that don't need replaceable filters are
very nice.

I'll second that. This is the third winter for the Hunter humidifier in
my piano room. They are very nicely engineered. I wash the base
section weekly, but it otherwise requires almost no maintenance. They
sell for about $50 at warehouse clubs.

John

Old 19-12-2004, 01:15 PM
Tom Randy

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:09:34 -0500, John DeGood wrote:

danny wrote:
The Hunter "Care-Free" humidifiers that don't need replaceable filters are
very nice.

I'll second that. This is the third winter for the Hunter humidifier in
my piano room. They are very nicely engineered. I wash the base
section weekly, but it otherwise requires almost no maintenance. They
sell for about $50 at warehouse clubs.

John

I have a 2 gallon Hunter that works really well. The niteglow model.

Old 19-12-2004, 05:59 PM
K Barrett

Why do you think you need a humidifier? What kind of orchid do you own and
where do you live? many common orchids grow fine in 50% humidity, that is
what is commonly avaliable in most climates.

K Barrett

Old 19-12-2004, 06:44 PM
danny

For those of us growing indoors with central heat, it's more like 20-30%
humidity during the winter unless you have some form of humidification. I
don't get 50% in my basement during the winter without a humidifier.
-danny

Old 19-12-2004, 11:27 PM
K Barrett

When I grew indoors with central heat I still had at least 50% humidity...
so our experiences differ. Therefore its only polite to ask what the
person's growing conditions are before you offer advice.

K Barrett

Old 20-12-2004, 01:02 AM
sandra

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Why do you think you need a humidifier? What kind of orchid do

you own
and
where do you live? many common orchids grow fine in 50%

humidity, that
is
what is commonly avaliable in most climates.

K Barrett

My orchid will be in Deep South Texas, I do have central heat in that
home

Old 20-12-2004, 01:36 AM
Tom Randy

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:59:28 +0000, K Barrett wrote:

Why do you think you need a humidifier? What kind of orchid do you own and
where do you live? many common orchids grow fine in 50% humidity, that is
what is commonly avaliable in most climates.

Not during the heating season in the north...