Old 19-12-2004, 04:38 PM
unknown

Default smithsonian

in case anyone's in the area, a turn through the Orchid Express exhibit
at the smithsonian natural history musuem is worth the time; mostly big
showy plants, a preponderance of paphs (for my taste), very few
minatures, only one bulbo (behind glass and i didn't notice any
pleruos, but it's nice eye candy nonetheless. (i'm still not quite sure
why the model trains are there, particularly the one that keeps blowing
for a grade crossing when there aren't any grade crossings in the setup,
but i digress....)

enter through the hall of mammals and hook a right and go thru the sikh
exhibit; you'll be going in the back of the exhibit, but the place is
being renovated and going in the front is a pain.

--j_a
Old 19-12-2004, 06:45 PM
Al

I thought it was *called* the Orchid and Train exhibit. :-) and I was
wondering what the connection was.

Old 19-12-2004, 09:13 PM
J Fortuna

I searched the Web for any explanation of the orchid and train connection,
and the best two that I found are these totally different perspectives:

"The Orchid Express features a model steam train that toots its way through
the orchid's recent history. The show focuses less on horticulture than on
the imperialist and commercial drives that transported these flowers "from
mountaintop to tabletop."
Read More at
http://hfp.srv3.pmachinehosting.com/...rchid_plunder/

"Model trains help to guide visitors through these miniature and life-size
dioramas, which examine the themes of exploration, collection, production
and conservation."
Read More at
http://www.cecilwhig.com/articles/20...kendevents.txt
Another article I found summarized it as "children love it", which may well
be the main connection between model trains and orchids.

And here is a link to the Smithsonian site about this exhibit's themes:
http://www.gardens.si.edu/orchidshow...emes2_2004.htm

I have not gone yet, and won't be able to go until 2005, but since the
exhibit is in DC till May 1st, I am sure that I will have a chance to see
it. Someone mentioned to me that they plan to change which orchids are
exhibited, so it may be worth visiting more than once.

Best,
Joanna

Old 19-12-2004, 09:16 PM
J Fortuna

P.S.: The link to the Orchid Express exhibit site is
http://www.gardens.si.edu/orchidshow...ndex_train.htm

Old 20-12-2004, 07:04 PM

well there's a model acela that has "orchid express" decalled onto it,
so i guess that's it...i dunno, i think orchids for orchids' sakes are
ok?

and i take it back; i think there *was* a grade crossing in the one
setup. ("The Paphs That Ate the Train Station")
they'll likely rotate things as they go out of bloom.

--j_a

smithsonian [email protected] Orchids 0 12-02-2007 07:18 PM
smithsonian show [email protected] Orchids 1 17-12-2006 11:07 PM
smithsonian unknown Orchids 0 19-12-2004 04:38 PM