Old 19-12-2004, 06:51 PM
DexterWard

Default The roots from outer space!!

The Oncidium "Sharry Baby" I have, has an aerial root that is climbing and
wrapping around one of the pseudobulbs. I was just wondering if this is a
danger to the root or to the pseudobulb?

-DW

Old 20-12-2004, 02:54 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:51:25 -0600, "DexterWard"
wrote:

The Oncidium "Sharry Baby" I have, has an aerial root that is climbing and
wrapping around one of the pseudobulbs. I was just wondering if this is a
danger to the root or to the pseudobulb?

-DW

In cases I have seen it is more a problem for your peace of mind
than the plant's. The question does arise, how recently has the
potting mix been changed? It could be a sign that the mix is not
good.
SuE

Old 20-12-2004, 10:53 PM
davon96720

Here in Hawaii it's Sherry Baby, great smell. The other follow up mentions
potting, how big is the pot your is in, the orchid could have outgrown it
even if the media is still good.

davon96720

Old 24-12-2004, 03:18 PM
H Playel

"DexterWard" skrev i meddelandet
The Oncidium "Sharry Baby" I have, has an aerial root that is climbing and
wrapping around one of the pseudobulbs. I was just wondering if this is a
danger to the root or to the pseudobulb?

-DW

Several of my oncidum hybrids act that way, Sharry Baby included. They have
done so for years, and have not seen a single problem with it. They are
epiphytes, after all.

You should check the potting mix though, to make sure the plant have
thriving roots in the medium. If it has, I'd see the "root from space" as a
sign of good air humidity around the plant.

//H