Old 20-12-2004, 11:26 AM
Pat Brennan

Default Happy Solstice

Days start getting longer this week. Happy Solstice to all. Well not
really all, sorry guys down under. Light the fires and party Tuesday. If
the weather doesn't change a fire in the woodstove will do.

10.3 F outside right now, we may still hit single digits before dawn.
Sensaphone called, howling winds had blown open door. Since I was up I did
the pass and found the pump room at -2C. I do not do metric, but I know
anything -C in a pump room is not good. Can you make a living growing
orchids? Oh, its a living alright. You could loose a greenhouse on a night
like tonight. It not good enough to have a good alarm, you either have to
fix the problem or get someone that can before damage is done. I though it
might be good to have a thread of thinks we wished me knew after that 3 AM
call.

This one has come up more than once here.

Oil burners. That red reset button. If after the button is pushed, the
furnace burns for a few seconds and then trips the button again. Clean the
optical eye in the square box. The red button should only trip when there
is not a fire in the box.

Old 20-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Al

It was windy too! The wind was sucking the heat right through two layers of
plastic greenhouse skin. Both Heaters were running, which means that at 12
degrees plus wind chill, one 168,000 BTU output heater could not keep up
with the heat loss. I suspect if the wind had not been celebrating the
approaching hemispheric Yule (time of greatest darkness) so wickedly the
thermostats would not have called the second heater into operation. I did
not get any alarms but I kept getting up to go check. I could really smell
the exhaust in there and wondered if the wind was forcing it all back down
the flue.

Al
It's always Yule before the solstice.

Old 20-12-2004, 02:57 PM
francis marion

Days start getting longer this week. Happy Solstice to all. Well not
really all, sorry guys down under.

Actually it is Solstice Down Under too. It's just Summer, not Winter
Solstice.

Happy Solstice,

F Marion

Old 20-12-2004, 05:16 PM
Phalguy

Hello! Happy solstice to you too!

Having a green house here in Montreal now would cost lots of money for
heating !
It`s actually -25 C and -38 C with the windchill factor!

Bye

Claude

Old 20-12-2004, 06:15 PM

Pat Brennan wrote:
Days start getting longer this week. Happy Solstice to all. Well

not
really all, sorry guys down under. Light the fires and party

Tuesday. If
the weather doesn't change a fire in the woodstove will do.

10.3 F outside right now, we may still hit single digits before dawn.

Sensaphone called, howling winds had blown open door.

Brr, it was cold here in North Carolina, too. The local news said 12
F, but "weatherbug" which has a weather station closer to our house
said 9 F at 6:00 am. The wind really makes a difference. This isn't
the coldest night that we've had in the past few years, but it was the
first time that my Southern Burner couldn't keep up. With the
thermostat set at 60 F, the temperature bottomed out at about 55 early
this morning. I tried to put a small electic space heater in the
greenhouse, but the door was frozen shut. At least that prevents the
winds from blowing it open!

I nipped home at lunchtime to find 75 F in a greenhouse filled with the
fragrance of the Osmanthus fragrans that I moved in there yesterday.
Ahhhh.

Nick

Old 21-12-2004, 01:35 AM
Aaron Hicks

All y'all talkin' about the weather are going to need to SPEAK UP.
I can't hear you over the air conditioning!

The address in the header is bogus. Send no email there.

Cheers from Phoenix,

-AJHicks
Chandler (close to Phoenix), AZ

Old 21-12-2004, 06:13 AM
Reka

Pat Brennan wrote:
Days start getting longer this week. Happy Solstice to all. Well not
really all, sorry guys down under. Light the fires and party Tuesday. If

Thanks, Pat! Here where the sun hides behind the 3000 foot mountain
directly behind my house at 1:30 p.m. in the winter, this is my most
important day of celebration!
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

Reclaim Your Inbox!

Rediscover the Web!
http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/firefox/

They're free!
Old 21-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Dave Gillingham

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 06:26:53 -0500, "Pat Brennan"
wrote:

Days start getting longer this week. Happy Solstice to all. Well not
really all, sorry guys down under. Light the fires and party Tuesday. If
the weather doesn't change a fire in the woodstove will do.

10.3 F outside right now, we may still hit single digits before dawn.
Sensaphone called, howling winds had blown open door. Since I was up I did
the pass and found the pump room at -2C.

Snip
Ummm! 22.4 C here at the moment (that's about 72 F) at 7.50 pm - no
heaters required. Today was overcast & little temp variation.
Yesterday was min. 20.5 (69 F); max 37.5 (99.5 F). Which would you
prefer?

Happy solstice to you, too!

Dave Gillingham
Old 21-12-2004, 02:05 PM

Aaron Hicks wrote:
All y'all talkin' about the weather are going to need to SPEAK UP.
I can't hear you over the air conditioning!

At least we have measurable humidity for most of the year...
Nick

Old 21-12-2004, 11:58 PM
Diana Kulaga

Er, we hung tarps on the lanai for a windbreak and threw sheets and blankies
on the 'chids for the last two nights here in S. FL because it went into the
40's in the middle of the night.

Today was 72. Okay, running for cover now!

Happy Solstice!

Diana

happy, happy, happy David Hare-Scott[_2_] Australia 1 12-01-2010 06:32 AM
Happy Solstice Billy[_4_] Gardening 33 27-12-2007 07:20 PM
Happy Solstice Billy[_4_] Edible Gardening 33 27-12-2007 07:20 PM
Happy Solstice madgardener Gardening 8 24-12-2003 02:14 PM
Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday... Reka Orchids 4 05-04-2003 11:32 PM