Old 20-12-2004, 07:24 PM
joeenp

Default questions about dendrobiums rest

I have heard many confusing and conflicting arguments about the rest
period for some dens. i have some that look like canes that have
kiekes and some like kingianum and superbum. do they all require rest
periods ? if so ! when and how long and where? i might just as ask
WHY! this question should be interesting ! Ron
Old 21-12-2004, 04:52 AM
Wendy

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:24:37 GMT, joeenp wrote:

I have heard many confusing and conflicting arguments about the rest
period for some dens. i have some that look like canes that have
kiekes and some like kingianum and superbum. do they all require rest
periods ? if so ! when and how long and where? i might just as ask
WHY! this question should be interesting ! Ron

Just found this url Ron,
http://viviorchids.com/orcnr-64.html
I never realized that there were so many types.
As far as the 'why' the rest period is because they go dormant
& don't need the water. In their natural habitat there is no rain either.
I find resting mine is the hardest thing for me to do!
For me in zone 9/10 the rest period is from beginning of Nov. to the
end of Jan. but start water when I see signs of new growth.
Hope some experts chime in here for you.
--

Replace seven with 7, for email reply

Cheers Wendy
Old 21-12-2004, 04:18 PM
joeenp

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:52:03 -0800, Wendy wrote:

[...]

Thanks Wendy! i expected a lot of response . im a newbe at this
Orchids and newsgroup posting so this whole thing is a little
overwhelming. Ron
Old 21-12-2004, 11:51 PM
Kenni Judd

The only one you list that I can speak to specifically is superbum [aka
anosmum]. They will sometimes bloom without a rest [we found out by
forgetting a couple ...], but they definitely do better with one.

In the wild, they grow on deciduous trees in monsoonal climates. So, in
summer, they are well-shaded and get lots of rain; in winter, they get
little if ay rain and the leaves have fallen off the trees so the light is
much brighter.

These are hard ones for newbies to get used to -- they are SUPPOSED to look
nearly dead, right before they bloom G.

We usually start the rest for ours in early November. Unfortunately, this
year, they will probably have to stay in. Hurricanes Frances and Jeanne
stole their winter-resting homes. I think/hope that the following year,
they will bloom exceptionally well, having the energy of 2 growing seasons
to "burn."
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 22-12-2004, 12:52 AM
Diana Kulaga

My 2 cents, Ron:

Any Nobile type Dends like a dry rest, as do other 'Calista' Dends. Right on
with Kenni's advice about superbum (anosmum); mine is on starvation right
now. Poor thing looks so sad, losing its leaves, but I know it's for the
best!

For most (most, not all! I cannot give you a total breakdown here!) hard
caned Dends, I cut down on water and fertilizer in winter, but do not dry
rest them.

HTH

Diana

Old 22-12-2004, 12:55 AM
joeenp

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:51:28 -0500, "Kenni Judd"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Kenni
I grow most all my orchids with lites. i live in the upper north
western part of wash. state. i have put the dens. in the attached
garage with temps of 55 for a high and 50 for a low with one small
window that faces north . i have stopped watering and feeding im
i heading in the right direction??? Ron