Old 23-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Drbob92031

Default LEAF TURNING YELLOW.

To any and all;
I have a phaelenopsis that has been in its original pot for over a year. My son
was rady to toss it out but I persisted and it is growing well to this
point.One of its bottom leaves has turned yellow and lost is firmness.
Question: Is it repoting time?. The plant has two keikis on half dead growths
and is sending up bloom stalks at this time. The keikis have large root growth
(ariel) Help! The medium that it is in feels "spongy". The pot is an 8"
diameter clay pot.
Bob
Old 23-12-2004, 04:38 PM
Ray

Bob,

I suggest against repotting a plant that is sending up inflorescences or in
bud- or bloom, unless the potting medium is SO sour that you are risking
rotting the roots.

In my opinion, the best time is after blooming has ended, when the plant is
putting on a new growth spurt.

..

Old 23-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:38:18 -0500, "Ray"
wrote:

Bob,

I suggest against repotting a plant that is sending up inflorescences or in
bud- or bloom, unless the potting medium is SO sour that you are risking
rotting the roots.

In my opinion, the best time is after blooming has ended, when the plant is
putting on a new growth spurt.

If the mix is spongy the roots are at risk. First - I would cut
off the keiki's and pot them individually. This will reduce the
drag on MOM. Cut the old inflorescence as close to Mom as
possible. Then try to take the keiki off the inflorescence with
a quick twist motion. IF they don't come off cut the
inflorescence as close to each as possible. Pot as for a full
grown plant.

Now Mom. IF you think she is growing ok in the mix and it does
not smell, take a good whiff. Then maybe on her own she can put
out this bloom without risk. You now have two exact clones of
her, in case something goes wrong. You will have to decide if it
is worth the risk of losing a few flowers (maybe) or losing Mom
(maybe). If you have a chance to even lift her out of the pot
and check the roots. Are they healthy or spongy with rot?

If the bottom roots from Mom's pot are still firm. The throw a
handful of dry mix in the bottom of the pot and put her back in.
with as little disturbance as possible. If the roots at the
bottom are soft and rotted. Repot. Hope for the best and maybe
she will pay back your boost with a beautiful display rather than
blasting.
SuE
Old 23-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Tom Randy

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:04:08 +0000, Drbob92031 wrote:

To any and all;
I have a phaelenopsis that has been in its original pot for over a year. My son
was rady to toss it out but I persisted and it is growing well to this
point.One of its bottom leaves has turned yellow and lost is firmness.

Just cut off the yellowed leaf. No big deal!

Question: Is it repoting time?. The plant has two keikis on half dead growths
and is sending up bloom stalks at this time. The keikis have large root growth
(ariel) Help! The medium that it is in feels "spongy". The pot is an 8"
diameter clay pot.
Bob

Leave it alone!

Old 23-12-2004, 11:04 PM
Kenni Judd

Well, I think we are about to confuse you with differing advice -- but that
just goes to show that there are 1001 "right" ways to grow most orchids, and
only a few really "wrong" ones.

Like Ray, I prefer to repot shortly after blooming, when a plant is making
new roots and new growth (i.e., you should have done it a while back). But
if the new bloom spikes are still relatively short and not yet showing buds,
we find that they will generally survive a repotting. And if the medium
that it's in is not looking good, my own preference would be to risk this
year's spikes for the long-term health of the plant, but that's a personal
decision. The one bottom leaf turning yellow doesn't worry me much; phals
will generally lose a bottom leaf or two each season -- as long as they're
making new ones from the top, not to worry.

On the keikis, I have to disagree with Sue. If they have their own root
systems, and you can feed and water them when you water the parent plant,
then I doubt they are putting much if any drain on "Mom." However, since it
appears they do have their own root systems, they certainly can be detached
(which might make the repotting of the parent plant a little easier to
handle) and potted separately. When detaching, I like to leave a short
length of the spike they're currently attached to with them, gives me more
to pot and something to put a clip on if needed.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 24-12-2004, 01:03 PM
Drbob92031

Thanks to all for the assistance albite it can be confusing at times.
Bob