Old 26-12-2004, 05:40 PM
Scottie

Default Stolen Orchids

I received the following from the good folks at Palmer Orchids, just about
the only commercial orchid vendor in the Houston area, Christmas Day. I'm
posting here to ask all of you to watch for any new "bargain" plants that
might show up on the auction sites or from unusual sources, especially in
the Houston area, and either let me know or let them know.

Ray and Terri have been part of the orchid community for many years and have
introduced many new growers to the hobby. They run a small operation, but
go out of their way to support both the Houston Orchid Society and the
Galveston Orchid Society. This is the second time this fall they have been
hit by thieves; in October, someone stole the parrots they kept in their
greenhouse.

If you can help, please do.

Scottie

"Merry Christmas to everyone

We had a thief that broke into our greenhouse early Christmas Eve Morning.
They took about 1200 plants. Most of the plants were Cattleya in pot sizes
from 4 to 6 in Pots plus our show plants in 14" pots. Also Stolen were
approx 100 Vanda Plants in Black Plastic Square or Wooden Slatted Baskets of
assorted sizes. The vandas were mostly Fuchs. Also Stolen were some
cerripidilum species - Phalaenopsis.

We ask each of you to be on the look out for these plants. We feel sure
that someone who knows orchids stole these plants, and will no doubt try
selling them somewhere in the area or online.

If you see anything, please call us or the local police immediately.

We thank all of you for your past support and your friendship.

Ray & Terri Palmer"

Old 26-12-2004, 06:22 PM
Ray

I've known Terri for years (I work for a chemical company, and get to
Houston periodically). I searched all eBay listings since then, but
it looks like nothing has been offered there as of yet.

..
link.net...

Old 26-12-2004, 08:52 PM
wendy7

What a crying shame! There is also the Orchid Mall's unclassified ads
to keep an eye on. It would be good to get a list of the plants but
the individual would be stupid to sell them now?
http://www.orchidmall.com/general/unclasfd.htm
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 26-12-2004, 09:32 PM
Scottie

Wendy, thanks for the Orchid Mall tip. I hadn't thought of that.

I can't figure what they think they're going to do with them. 1200 is a lot
of plants, and 100 Fuchs vandas would be fairly easy for an orchid grower to
spot and question a low price. To top that, we had really cold weather
(lows in the mid 20's, highs low 30's -- cold for south Texas) starting the
22nd, with snow starting Christmas Eve and continuing until Christmas
morning. So if the thieves didn't get the plants someplace warm fast . . .

The vandas Terri sells are really wonderful. She buys from Fuchs before
they are awarded and grows them on, and some of the plants she had were
quite old and very beautiful and very valuable.

I hope, since Palmer's has been a local business since 1977, the local
police take this seriously and are really investigating. I think it would
qualify as a felony.

Scottie

Old 27-12-2004, 02:42 AM
Dave Fouchey

Scottie thanks for the heads up, this is reprehensible to say the
least, I hope they catch the buggers and nail their hides to the wall
for this.

Peace

Dave

Old 01-01-2005, 11:48 PM
Robert Dickow

"Scottie" wrote in
link.net:

I received the following from the good folks at Palmer Orchids, just
about the only commercial orchid vendor in the Houston area, Christmas
Day. I'm posting here to ask all of you to watch for any new
"bargain" plants that might show up on the auction sites or from
unusual sources, especially in the Houston area, and either let me
know or let them know.

Ray and Terri have been part of the orchid community for many years
and have introduced many new growers to the hobby. They run a small
operation, but go out of their way to support both the Houston Orchid
Society and the Galveston Orchid Society. This is the second time
this fall they have been hit by thieves; in October, someone stole the
parrots they kept in their greenhouse.

If you can help, please do.

Scottie

"Merry Christmas to everyone

People stealing plants is disgusting. I had a theft some years back from
my 9x12 backyard hobby greenhouse in Kentucky. I never locked it, until
someone came in during the depths of the night, while I was snuggled up
in my bed, and took all by blue orchids (Lc. Blue Boy 'Gainsborough',
for example and many other fine specimen). It must have been an orchid
enthusiast, but who could ever live with those plants with any pride at
all after having gotten them by theft? Worse yet, they knocked
everything over that night... must have been avoiding turning on the
light.

It's more understandable when it happens to a commercial outfit, but
just as discouraging.

I'll watch out for any suspicious sales.

Old 01-01-2005, 11:48 PM
Robert Dickow

"Scottie" wrote in
link.net:

[...]

OT-- Stolen Dog Returned cross United Kingdom 14 31-08-2004 12:22 AM
Stolen? Koi :was New Guy- Skooch Ponds 1 26-06-2003 01:08 AM
[IBC] Fw: STOLEN BONSAI] Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 17-06-2003 08:20 PM
[IBC] Stolen suiseki dalecochoy Bonsai 5 14-02-2003 10:51 PM
Stolen suiseki Reiner Goebel Bonsai 0 12-02-2003 02:55 AM