Old 31-12-2004, 03:47 AM
Mike

Default New root from an external root?

Hi,

Today I noticed a new growth on one of the external roots of my
phalaenopsis. It's small and pointy, so I'm assuming that it's a new
root. Is it normal to grow a new root from an old external root? Or
could it be something else?

Mike

http://www.usenet.com
Old 31-12-2004, 07:09 AM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:47:26 -0500, Mike
wrote:

Hi,

Today I noticed a new growth on one of the external roots of my
phalaenopsis. It's small and pointy, so I'm assuming that it's a new
root. Is it normal to grow a new root from an old external root? Or
could it be something else?

Mike

Good news - generally only happy plants put out a dense root
mass. Bad News - sometimes if the main root is cut or damaged
the root will branch and abandon the damaged part of the original
root. You will have to wait to find out which, But G new roots
are not normally bad news - at least the plant is growing roots.

Have a good and safe holiday everyone.
SuE

Old 31-12-2004, 03:15 PM
Drbob92031

Hi Mike:
I have the same thing taking place on my phaelenopsis but it turns out to be e
flower spike. Mine is not growing from a root but from the base of the pha.
where the other roots growing are.
Old 31-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Steve

Drbob92031 wrote:
Hi Mike:
I have the same thing taking place on my phaelenopsis but it turns out to be e
flower spike. Mine is not growing from a root but from the base of the pha.
where the other roots growing are.

I'm glad you added that 2nd sentence. If you thought you had a flower
spike growing from a root I was going to have to see a picture of that! ;-)
That brings us back to your first line. How can you say that you have
the same thing when the original post was about something growing from a
root?
Congratulations on the new flower spike though. :-)

Steve

Old 31-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Steve

Mike wrote:

Hi,

Today I noticed a new growth on one of the external roots of my
phalaenopsis. It's small and pointy, so I'm assuming that it's a new
root. Is it normal to grow a new root from an old external root? Or
could it be something else?............................

Generally, only roots grow from roots. Orchid roots put out side
branches all the time. Phals probably do it a little less than most orchids.
I started with the word "generally" because there are rare exceptions. I
have seen pictures of new plantlets forming from a root. I have never
seen that happen myself and, chances are, you never will either.

Steve
Old 31-12-2004, 08:30 PM
Mike

Thanks for the replies.

I think it is a new root. The existing root has a part that's exposed
(and therefore, woody) and the rest of it goes into the growing medium
(and probably green and fleshy). The new root is emerging from the
part of the old root that is exposed.

I have a question about roots that are green and fleshy...

As you guys know, there is a thin wiry structure in the middle of the
root. If when repotting the orchid you notice that some segments of
the green roots are broken but still attached to the inner core (wire
structure), will those segments still survive? Or do the roots have to
be one continuous root with no breaks? I always remove any dead/mushy
parts, but I'm just wondering if I can leave the rest that appear to
be hanging by the "wire"?

Mike

Old 31-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Steve

Mike wrote:

As you guys know, there is a thin wiry structure in the middle of the
root. If when repotting the orchid you notice that some segments of
the green roots are broken but still attached to the inner core (wire
structure), will those segments still survive? Or do the roots have to
be one continuous root with no breaks? I always remove any dead/mushy
parts, but I'm just wondering if I can leave the rest that appear to
be hanging by the "wire"?

Mike

That's actually a really good question.
I think the part below the break does live on at least for a while. I
suspect the broken part probably tends to die quicker than it would
otherwise but who knows what really goes on down in the pot after the
repotting is completed. I don't!
If I'm repotting a plant and it has more roots than it really needs, I
remove the broken roots. If the plant is a little low on roots, I'll
save the broken ones on the theory that the plant should get some use
out of them while they last.

Steve
Old 31-12-2004, 11:05 PM
Xi Wang

I've asked that question before I think, and the answer I got was that
it sort of depends... If it's just s simple break in the root, then
there isn't really a problem, but if an entire section of root is
missing (i.e. root-core filament-root), then you're better to cut off
the distal portion which will eventually die and rot in the pot.

Cheers,
Xi

Old 01-01-2005, 08:34 PM
dd

I'm never quite sure how to treat dying roots either.

My observation with Phals having dying roots: The velamen (the fleshy
root coating) is what absorbs the nutrients, and Phal roots grow from
their tips. Dead tip = dead root, eventually, unless the main root has
other branching tips that can sustain the main root. Also, if a root is
rotten up toward the base of the plant, the entire root will probably
eventually succumb (as autopsies have revealed). Sometimes, air roots
will branche off and go down into media and sustain a plant, but
sometimes they won't.

Somewhere I read on this NG that one shouldn't cut off the core
filament even if the velamen is gone. Well, I've cut off filament and
I've left it attached, and I can't say that it made much of a
difference either way to a Phal's ultimate survival. I haven't seen new
roots growing from a naked filament. If you have some short, stumpy
live roots (that you expect to develop into larger media roots) or if
you have air roots, the filaments are, however, good for anchoring the
plant into the media so you don't have to resort to pot clips to keep
the plant from falling out of the media.