Old 05-01-2005, 08:57 AM
White Monkey

Default What have I got?

Hi folks,
I picked up this orchid in the bargain bin at the garden center for 2 Euros
because they thought it was done flowering for the year. It had one more in
it, it turns out! What is it? Obviously some kind of paph, but can it be
narrowed down any farther?
Thanks,
Katrina

http://www.xs4all.nl/~cooper17/katri...opedalumSm.jpg

Old 05-01-2005, 12:13 PM
White Monkey

I picked up this orchid in the bargain bin at the garden center for 2
Euros
because they thought it was done flowering for the year. It had one more

in
it, it turns out! What is it? Obviously some kind of paph, but can it be
narrowed down any farther?
Thanks,
Katrina

http://www.xs4all.nl/~cooper17/katri...opedalumSm.jpg

I think this is a Paph of the cochlopetalums group (search this page for

the
word 'cochlopetalum' for a bit more info
http://ladyslipper.com/1stpaph.htm ). There are several hybrids within

that
group that look very much alike (at least to my inexperienced eye). The
Paphs in this group are sequential bloomers, which means that as they

loose
one flower, another one opens. I know that Paph Pinocchio is for example a
common hybrid. I have a Paph Amelia Hart 'Alexandria' from this group. I
really enjoy it. It is on its third flower currently and the vendor told

me
that it could have as many as 12 flowers sequentially on one spike. What I
enjoy about the Paph Amelia Hart is what I jokingly call the changing of

the
guard. When it decides that its done with a flower, the blossom fades a

bit
and then abruptly falls off, and at roughly the same time the next one
opens. I hope yours will bring you as much joy as mine brings me.

Best,
Joanna

Thank you! I'll look at that site right away. This orchid was sitting in the
bargain bin with a green stem but only spots where there had been flowers
along it, and one dried-out looking, immature bud at the tip. It was not
labeled. It sat here for about 6 weeks looking exactly like that, then
suddenly the bud matured and opened over a period of two days, and has been
a nice flower for two weeks now. I expect this will be the last flower for
the year, as there's nowhere left to "go" on the stem.
--Katrina

Old 05-01-2005, 02:42 PM
White Monkey

"Ray" wrote in message
Looks like it's got a lot of Paph. glaucophyllum in it:

http://www.orchidspecies.com/paphglaucophyllum.htm

and if it's not the species, it is very likely Paph. Pinocchio.

Thanks!
--Katrina

Old 05-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Rob Halgren

Ray wrote:
Looks like it's got a lot of Paph. glaucophyllum in it:

http://www.orchidspecies.com/paphglaucophyllum.htm

and if it's not the species, it is very likely Paph. Pinocchio.

I was going to guess Pinocchio too... Or Pinocchio x primulinum (Avalon
Mist? Haven't installed Wildcatt on this computer yet...).

It is cute.

Rob
Old 05-01-2005, 04:46 PM
White Monkey

"Rob Halgren" wrote in message
Ray wrote:
Looks like it's got a lot of Paph. glaucophyllum in it:

http://www.orchidspecies.com/paphglaucophyllum.htm

and if it's not the species, it is very likely Paph. Pinocchio.

I was going to guess Pinocchio too... Or Pinocchio x primulinum (Avalon
Mist? Haven't installed Wildcatt on this computer yet...).

It is cute.

Rob

Thank you! It is, isn't it?
--Katrina

Old 07-01-2005, 04:37 AM
J Fortuna

This thread inspired me to research the paph cochlopetalum group a bit more,
and here are some of the links that I found.

I started out with the hope to learn more about the different species in
this group to be able to differentiate them better, but I fear that I have
given up on that idea. While some of these species are a bit more distinct
than the others, I think this is in general a subgenus that has species with
a lot of similarities, and since there are also a lot of hybrids that look
similar, and there is some variability even among siblings of the same seed
capsule, I have given up on the idea of trying to differentiate these, and
have decided to just enjoy them.

Some of these sites are good for either photos or information or both for
other orchids as well.

I hope you enjoy them too.
Best, Joanna

****
Paph Cochlopetalum (general sites with multiple photos):
http://ladyslipper.com/cochltab.htm
http://slipperorchid.org/cochlopetalum.htm
http://paphs.net/media/Paphs/Alpha.htm
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~fk8t-tnk/paph-3.htm
http://www.angelfire.com/or3/orchids...hlopetalum.htm
http://www.h3.dion.ne.jp/~t_kamei/pa...hlopetalum.htm
several nice photos also included on
http://www.krischanphoto.com/gardens...hiopedilum.htm

*****
species:

paph glaucophyllum
http://www.orchidspecies.com/paphglaucophyllum.htm
http://ladyslipper.com/ppglauco.htm
http://www.edit.ne.jp/~fkoichi/ophoto/paph/paphglau.htm
http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/other_o...lum_Free_1.jpg

paph moquettianum
http://www.orchidspecies.com/paphmoquettianum.htm
http://www.orchidweb.com/dtl_spec.asp?PRecno=384
http://www.orchidweb.com/dtl_spec.asp?PRecno=2946
http://www.edit.ne.jp/~fkoichi/ophoto/paph/paphmoqu.htm

Paph primulinum var. flavum (a nearly solid yellow form)
http://www.orchidspecies.com/paphprimulinum.htm
http://www.orchidweb.com/dtl_spec.asp?PRecno=399

paph. primulinum var. purpurascens (this has yellow, cinnamon-brown and some
green color)
http://www.orchidspecies.com/paphpri...rpurescens.htm
http://www.orchidweb.com/dtl_spec.asp?PRecno=400

paph. liemianum
http://www.orchidspecies.com/paphiemianum.htm
http://www.orchidphotos.org/images/o...p/image025.htm
http://www.orchidphotos.org/images/o...p/image026.htm

paph chamberlainianum
http://www.orchidspecies.com/paphchamberlainianum.htm
http://www.orchidphotos.org/images/o...p/image012.htm
http://www.orchidphotos.org/images/o...b/P1010086.jpg
http://www.orchidweb.com/dtl_spec.asp?PRecno=2200

paph victoria-regina
http://www.orchidspecies.com/paphvictoriaregine.htm

paph victoria-mariae
http://www.orchidspecies.com/paphvictoria-marie.htm
http://www.orchidweb.com/dtl_spec.asp?PRecno=450

*****
Primary Hybrids:

Lists of primary hybrids:
http://ladyslipper.com/glauco2.htm
http://ladyslipper.com/liem.htm
http://ladyslipper.com/prim.htm
http://ladyslipper.com/vicmar.htm
http://ladyslipper.com/chamber.htm

Sample Primary Hybrids (focusing especially on primary hybrids between two
cochlopetalum species - with photos if found):

Paph primulinum (capsule) X Paph chamberlainianum = Paph Amelia Hart
Alexander 1994
http://www.krischanphoto.com/gardens...lum/03h291.jpg
and
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Paph liemianum (pollen) X Paph glaucophyllum = Paph Glaucoliem 1993

Paph chamberlainianum (capsule) X Paph victoria-regina = Paph John Sutter
1985

glaucophyllum x sanderianum = Paph. Landmark
http://www.orchidweb.com/dtl_spec.asp?PRecno=909

Paph glaucophyllum (capsule) X Paph primulinum = Paph Pinocchio
http://www.orchidweb.com/dtl_spec.asp?PRecno=2409

Paph liemianum (capsule) X Paph chamberlainianum = Paph Salvadore Dali 1991
http://www2.megax.ne.jp/ran3/paph_salvadore__dali.jpg

Paph liemianum (capsule) X Paph primulinum = Paph Sandy's Prime Lime 1997

Paph glaucophyllum (capsule) X Paph philippinense = Paph Shireen
http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/other_o...een_Free_1.jpg

Paph glaucophyllum (capsule) X Paph chamberlainianum = Paph Utgard
http://www.orchidweb.com/dtl_spec.asp?PRecno=3133

Paph glaucophyllum (capsule) X Paph victoria-regina = Paph Vedanta
http://www.mito-botanical-park.com/o...h_Vedanta.html

****

Old 07-01-2005, 04:49 AM
Rob Halgren

J Fortuna wrote:

This thread inspired me to research the paph cochlopetalum group a bit more,
and here are some of the links that I found.

I started out with the hope to learn more about the different species in
this group to be able to differentiate them better, but I fear that I have
given up on that idea. While some of these species are a bit more distinct
than the others, I think this is in general a subgenus that has species with
a lot of similarities, and since there are also a lot of hybrids that look
similar, and there is some variability even among siblings of the same seed
capsule, I have given up on the idea of trying to differentiate these, and
have decided to just enjoy them.

You've come to the same conclusion I have about this group. My
personal opinion is that there are perhaps two or three really distinct
species, and the rest are just varieties (if that) of these. I've
bloomed a lot of these and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference
without the tag. Which leads me to believe that there isn't any real
difference. I suspect this is compounded by taxonomic confusion and
propagation. Many 'varieties' of the same species were crossed
together, and sold as the species. Of course this was before those
varieties were promoted to species rank. So... you have a lot of plants
out there labeled as species which are actually (by current RHS
registration criteria) actually primary hybrids. Again, I suspect that
if they are that similar they really aren't distinct species, but I'm
not a taxonomist.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )
Old 09-01-2005, 06:06 PM
White Monkey

"wendy7" wrote in message
Hi there Katrina, nice to see you back here with us. Nice paph no matter
the name.
Hope all is well with your baby & your relocation.
I would opt for a south east window.

--
Cheers Wendy

Thanks! Yup, lots of things have gone down in the past while, but all's OK
now.... Little Walter was born almost 4 months ago, at home as planned, and
then we had to go to the hospital because he was a little small and
cool--long story short, he suffered a collapsed lung and was hooked up to
everything under the sun in Intensive care and we were, to say the least,
very frightened, but he came home again at two weeks old and is a thriving
and happy little man. We have to move because the landlords, who promised we
could stay here 3 to 5 years, have decided to sell after 8 months and so
won't be renewing our rental contract. So it's off to a much smaller place
with the orchids, the cat, the baby, and the ten month old Great Dane! But
hey, we're headed for the Jordaan--the artists' quarter. Everyone wants to
live in the Jordaan. It was all we could find in a hurry; go figure.

Thanks for your advice and well-wishes,
Katrina

Old 09-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Reka

White Monkey wrote:
"wendy7" wrote in message

[...]

Oh, Katrina! I envy you the home birth! I couldn't. Mine were both
born in the hospital - Cesareans. They turned out fine, though!

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

Reclaim Your Inbox!

Rediscover the Web!
http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/firefox/

They're free!

Old 10-01-2005, 12:15 PM
White Monkey

[...]

Unless there is a medical reason otherwise (which in your case there clearly
was), home birth is the norm here, and is encouraged by doctors, insurance
companies, and hospitals because it is cheaper for the health care system,
safer, and leaves the maternity-ward hospital beds free for people who
really need them (like you, for example). I had a very good experience, and
loved the midwifery practice we used and the lady who came out on the day.
--Katrina

What have I got? White Monkey Orchids 0 05-01-2005 08:57 AM
What Have I Got?! Thorny Roses 2 14-06-2003 04:32 PM