Old 05-01-2005, 11:20 PM
J Fortuna

Default questions about response time to cultural stimuli

I remember reading somewhere (maybe even on this group) about how when a new
spike or a new growth forms it is in response to stimuli that happened x
weeks or even months before that. I would love to know more about this -- or
any other issue related to response time to cultural stimuli.

My interest in timing issues today has been prompted by discovering another
new growth on my Lc Tokyo Magic 'Hihimanu' x Slc. Fire Fantasy 'Hihimanu',
and I wonder, since I have had this orchid for only three months is the fact
that it has two new growths more likely a response to the growing conditions
of the vendor I got it from or is it more likely a response to its cultural
stimuli in the past 3 months or a combination of both?

I assume that the two new growth are probably a good sign since it is
otherwise a healthy looking plant, so I assume that it is showing it's
approval of whatever conditions it either had been or is currently being
grown in? Or is this a wrong assumption, is it rather a response to
deprivation of some kind or confusion caused by the change in conditions?

Or Is it mostly due to genetics? Is this orchid just predisposed to create
more than one new growth at a time?

Or am I asking the wrong questions?

Joanna

Old 06-01-2005, 09:18 PM
K Barrett

Joanna, you may want to start by looking at the OrchidSafari Temporary
Archives http://www.geocities.com/brassia.geo/OSTA.html

K Barrett
ed.