Old 09-01-2005, 01:50 AM
Al

Here, Microsoft Window's XP home edition is running on a Hewlet Packard
something or other. It came installed on this computer. I do not have any
original disks and was not asked to provide one during the installation of
the SP2. Your results may vary.

I would check out Microsoft's website for problems installing the SP2 if you
suspect there is anything out of the ordinary with the edition of your
operating system. I would check out this website for information only if my
day was already as bad as I could possibly imagine, but sometimes you have
no choice. it is rumored that lots of people had trouble upgrading. For my
own part, after the computer rebooted itself, it took like 45 excruciating
minutes to reorganize it's insides before the new version came up and then I
had to pretend it was an initial installation and set up everything all over
again, from the log on screen to the pop-up blocker, passwords and firewall,
etc. All the installed software, like my email and newsgroup readers were
not affected outwardly by the upgrade. I take that back, the explorer
browser had to be configured for "privacy concerns" We have just reached
the limit of my computer knowledge. Goodnight....and happy orchid growing.

Oh yes, and back up everything important first.

"Scottie" wrote in message
ink.net...
Ray and Al,

When you updated to SP2, was the original XP cd required?

Scottie
"Ray" wrote in message
news
It was automatic with the Win XP SR-2

.
"Reka" wrote in message
Ray wrote:
Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but what's wrong with IE and
OE?

IE has a popup blocker that's quite effective, and I have all sorts
of mail rules set up that block the vast majority of spam in OE.

Am I missing something THAT significantly different?

*I* must be missing something. Which IE has a popup blocker??? The
Google toolbar blocked mine, but IE??
But I don't even have to go through the hassle of setting up rules
with Thunderbird.

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

Reclaim Your Inbox!

Rediscover the Web!
http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/firefox/

They're free!

Old 09-01-2005, 03:12 AM
Eric Hunt

Ray,

Right now you can get viruses on your system simply by using IE to browse
web pages. There are THAT many security holes. A hole was just discovered
this week in the latest IE 6 with XP Service Pack 2 that is really bad, for
example.

Firefox isn't squeaky clean, but it was written with security in mind and
it's open source, so anyone can patch the thing if they want to.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 09-01-2005, 03:32 AM
Phalguy

Hello Scottie!

If you have XP , a good antivirus, a good firewall and a good anti spyware,
you do not need to upgrade to XP service pack 2!

I`m running a Compaq presario with pentium 4, 2,5 ghrtz with Xp home.
I use AVG antivirus, Zone Alarm firewall and Microsoft antispyware beta 1.
Never had any problem!

Claude

ink.net...

Old 09-01-2005, 03:32 AM
Phalguy

Hello Scottie!

If you have XP , a good antivirus, a good firewall and a good anti spyware,
you do not need to upgrade to XP service pack 2!

I`m running a Compaq presario with pentium 4, 2,5 ghrtz with Xp home.
I use AVG antivirus, Zone Alarm firewall and Microsoft antispyware beta 1.
Never had any problem!

Claude

ink.net...

Old 09-01-2005, 03:53 AM
Scottie

Al and Claude,

I have 20 machines to maintain at work, and all but two are running
XP-Pro, SP1. Our network is running several complicated firewalls and
antivirus programs on the server -- it's a public library where anyone can
come in and pop any floppy or cd into the machine and read it, but not
load it, or go to any website. Every night, everything the public has done
is erased. My tech guru, who works with all the libraries in the Houston
area, has advised me to avoid SP2 as long as possible, so I've just been
doing the regular Win Update, but I know the day is coming. Right now
I have two, possibly three down, with some kind of spyware which has
put them in a permanent loop on boot, so I have to go in Monday and
reload the OS on those, and I thought I might try SP2, just to make life
fun.

I have had reports from friends and library patrons that the original cd's
were required, but although I've searched MS Update, several tech sites,
and asked all the gurus I know, that doesn't seem to be the case. My home
machine did not come with the original MS XP cd, just a snapshot recovery
cd,
and I haven't devoted any weekends to loading it at home, either,
mostly because I don't want to take the time to do the backup to cd's
necessary (I
have XP home and it doesn't offer the built-in backup option XP-Pro does,
and I'm too cheap to buy a good backup system). I sure hate to hear the 45
minutes to get running part of your message! That will take forever at
work.

Scottie

Old 09-01-2005, 05:53 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 19:12:02 -0800, "Eric Hunt"
wrote:

Ray,

Right now you can get viruses on your system simply by using IE to browse
web pages. There are THAT many security holes. A hole was just discovered
this week in the latest IE 6 with XP Service Pack 2 that is really bad, for
example.

Firefox isn't squeaky clean, but it was written with security in mind and
it's open source, so anyone can patch the thing if they want to.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

One of the Judges tonight said that the Tech at her office
updated her machine to Sp2 and she no longer has any of the email
addresses for the rest of the judging center. To say she was
unhappy is mild. She was out for his head. Back up and print
special files you may have to re-input.

And it is a huge memory HOG.
SuE
Old 09-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Reka

Ray wrote:
It was automatic with the Win XP SR-2

Ah...I understand...nothing for us using the old 98!

Old 09-01-2005, 09:13 AM
Reka

Susan Erickson wrote:

One of the Judges tonight said that the Tech at her office
updated her machine to Sp2 and she no longer has any of the email
addresses for the rest of the judging center. To say she was
unhappy is mild. She was out for his head. Back up and print
special files you may have to re-input.

And it is a huge memory HOG.
SuE

It's an agreement between Gates and the computer firms to force you to
buy a new, better computer, I swear!

Old 09-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Dave Gillingham

Haven't read all the replies yet, so may be duplicating. Just visited
the Mozilla home page - Firefox is now in v 1.0 ie no longer beta.
It's a browser only, with Thunderbird as the associated email client
for download (both free). Don't think T'bird includes an NNTP client
(newsreader). The integrated package is Moxilla itself - browser,
email client, news client - currently in v 1.7.5. Their web page
notes 1.7.3 & below had a security flaw. Firefox is slower to load
than IE, but I'm very happy with it. It supports tabs.

Most computer mags pan IE as shockingly insecure, & state Firefox is
far safer.

For NNTP I use Free Agent (from Forte as is the commercial version,
Agent - www.forteinc.com)
I'm very happy with it. Their home page will tell you what extras you
get by paying for Agent. Filtering is one.

Outlook is also extremely insecure. I prefer Pegasus Mail (free from
www.pmail.com) It's currently in v 4.21c; I find it quite powerful.

Hope that helps.

On 7 Jan 2005 09:31:35 -0800, "K Barrett"
wrote:

Hi all,

OK, this is on topic only because we're all reading this group on
computers, so I have a computer question.

My ISP changed to Giganews, making access to Usenet difficult.
Therefore I'm taking this opportunity to research changing from Outlook
Express to some other news reader. I'm also taking this opportunity to
finally stop using Internet Explorer as a browser. Something I intended
to do 4-5 yrs ago, heh.

I'm considering Mozilla/Firefox and Agent. (Unless Mozilla has its own
newsreader... hadn't thought of that)

Any input as to ease of use or frequency of attacks by
popups/worms/viruses etc with these alternate programs? Like would
they be more/less open to attack?

I find I have gotten stuck in my ways and only understand programs of
the 1995-1998 vintage, so I'm anticipating a steep learning curve, as
well as frustration and hair pulling when I make this switch. Its hell
getting old.

K Barrett

Dave Gillingham

Old 09-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Ray

It wasn't for me. I can also tell you it was one of the smoothest
updates I've experienced. No software glitches or incompatibilities.
As Al alluded: your results may vary.

..