Old 07-01-2005, 05:31 PM
K Barrett

Default newsgroup reader/ changing browsers

Hi all,

OK, this is on topic only because we're all reading this group on
computers, so I have a computer question.

My ISP changed to Giganews, making access to Usenet difficult.
Therefore I'm taking this opportunity to research changing from Outlook
Express to some other news reader. I'm also taking this opportunity to
finally stop using Internet Explorer as a browser. Something I intended
to do 4-5 yrs ago, heh.

I'm considering Mozilla/Firefox and Agent. (Unless Mozilla has its own
newsreader... hadn't thought of that)

Any input as to ease of use or frequency of attacks by
popups/worms/viruses etc with these alternate programs? Like would
they be more/less open to attack?

I find I have gotten stuck in my ways and only understand programs of
the 1995-1998 vintage, so I'm anticipating a steep learning curve, as
well as frustration and hair pulling when I make this switch. Its hell
getting old.

K Barrett

Old 07-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Casey Wilson

"K Barrett" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

OK, this is on topic only because we're all reading this group on
computers, so I have a computer question.

My ISP changed to Giganews, making access to Usenet difficult.
Therefore I'm taking this opportunity to research changing from Outlook
Express to some other news reader. I'm also taking this opportunity to
finally stop using Internet Explorer as a browser. Something I intended
to do 4-5 yrs ago, heh.

Hi K,
Changing your reader from OE doesn't fix the problem of your ISP
changing Usenet access. Except for the problem of changing your email
address, maybe you'd be better off changing ISPs. If you look for a new ISP,
I recommend Verizon. As a freelance writer and photographer, I travel a lot
and have never been anywhere I couldn't get a local access number for
dial-up connection. Verizon also gives me access to every newsgroup.
I use MS Outlook which invokes OExpress for a news reader, but not
email. I use the tools and rules features to cut down on SPAM and reject
obnoxious posters. Virus and worms are dealt with by Norton Anti-Virus which
automatically checks (in the background) for updates every time I go online
and forces an update weekly, whether it needs to or not.

Regards,

Casey Wilson
Freelance Writer and Photographer

Old 07-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Bob Walsh

K,

I just got switched to Giganews also. What I like is that the pictures on
abpo apparently stay for about 3 weeks instead of a day or less.

Bob

Old 07-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Reka

K Barrett wrote:
[...]

Read my sig line! I changed to the free programs Firefox and Thunderbird
a while ago and I LOVE THEM!!! (And yes, I was shouting there.) As to
viruses, as far as I am concerned, nothing beats having a good virus
scanner. I have AVG running and it scans all incoming and outgoing
mail. Mozilla should be less vulnerable to viruses, but I can't vouch
for that since I know too little about it.
Firefox stops pop-ups unless you choose to allow them. Thunderbird, the
mail and newsreader, blocks remote images in email, so they load much
faster and without those annoying ads. Thunderbird also has a very good
junk mail filter. Firefox also lets you use RSS feeds, which is a time
and energy saver. Apparently you can read RSS feeds in Thunderbird,
too, but I haven't looked into setting that up yet.
What I will say is that you need a teensy bit more than just beginner
user knowledge to get them up and going the way you want. I found it
easy, but I found computers easy from the very beginning (how can I say
this without sounding like I am bragging?). Give it a try. I will bet
you will be pleasantly surprised.

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

Reclaim Your Inbox!

Rediscover the Web!
http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/firefox/

They're free!

Old 07-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Ray

When I switched to Comcast as my ISP, it came with Giganews, and I
find it anything but difficult! It has more groups, long retention
times, even for binaries, and I've not had a problem in several years.

..

Old 08-01-2005, 01:30 AM
unknown

In article .com,
"K Barrett" wrote:

computerectomy

--disclaimer-- i am only a very minor computer geek, however.....

i'm using something called MT-newswatcher right now; no worms, virii,
greek equines etc. some quirks, but nothing worse than anything else
i've used. shows pictures beautifully, and i've been able to post pics
with no problem (other than doing it so infrequently that i keep
forgetting how...)

the browser of choice on the machine is firefox; no popups, no
malignancies so far. (also available: IE, netscape, safari, and some
stuff i don't recognize. mozilla seems fine.) (yes the computer's owner
is a graphics dude who creates web pages.)

carrier is comcast, giganews, i use comcast's mail utility for my
personal account.

caveat: this is a mac G5. YMMV.

--j_a

Old 08-01-2005, 05:33 AM
Eric Hunt

Kathy,

I am confused - I *pay* to use giganews because my ISPs news servers are
such crap. Why would your ISP switching to Giganews cause problems?

I've found good ole Outlook Express to work fine for newsgroups but I
definitely recommend Firefox as your browser. You'll wonder why you didn't
switch before.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

"K Barrett" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

OK, this is on topic only because we're all reading this group on
computers, so I have a computer question.

My ISP changed to Giganews, making access to Usenet difficult.

[...]

Old 08-01-2005, 05:38 AM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:36:25 +0100, Reka
wrote:

K Barrett wrote:
Hi all,

warning - clipped lines ahead.
Read my sig line! I changed to the free programs Firefox and Thunderbird
nothing beats having a good virus scanner.

Firefox stops pop-ups unless you choose to allow them. Thunderbird, the
mail and newsreader, blocks remote images in email, so they load much
faster and without those annoying ads. Thunderbird also has a very good
junk mail filter.

Reka.......

Ok. Now John and I have been with Mozilla for several years and
several upgrades. My only objection to this change over is the
split of Firefox from Thunderbird.. what names. I can not hit 1
icon and have the whole mess loaded. G

We use Agent to read and post to news. I have not tried the new
Mozilla, although I have seen the entry on my laptop. I know it
is available.

I would not do it any other way. The last upgrade from 'Mozilla'
vanilla to Foxfire and Thunderbird I did and it was just a click
on icon to download and update my system. Yes, you will have a
bit more to do. You have to get your data out of IE before it
blows up. It is not difficult. Keep playing with the junk and
spam filters and you can train Thunderbird to delete to Junk 99%
of the junk for you to scan for the occasional slip when it puts
OGD into the Junk file. G Although some of those slips are on
the too hot to read days.

Good spell check too. It used to be a second download and an add
on now it is part of the program.
SuE