Old 09-01-2005, 03:29 AM
Casey Wilson

Default Expected Phalaenopsis longevity

How long should the blooms last on a phalaenopsis, presuming it is
healthy and correctly maintained?

Old 09-01-2005, 03:36 AM
Phalguy

Hello!

That dépends of the specis, genetics etc...
I had a Phal. Brother Love Amigo who bloomed for 9 months, other last few
weeks or few days!

Claude

Old 09-01-2005, 03:36 AM
Phalguy

Old 09-01-2005, 07:01 AM
J Fortuna

Casey,

I have found, as a rough rule of thumb, that if I expect 2 months of
blooming from a Phal, I am rarely disappointed and often pleasantly
surprised. There are some Phals that are in bloom 6 months or more, and
sometimes the same plant will bloom much longer one blooming season than the
previous one.

It also depends on cultural conditions. For example, I read in the
OrchidSafari archives an interesting article recently, that keeping the
orchid in somewhat cooler conditions usually prolongs flower life, since
orchids have evolved to accommodate the fact that during somewhat colder
days there are fewer pollinators around. I assume that this could mean that
the same plant might bloom longer in a house of someone who keeps their
temperature at 65 degrees Fahrenheit then someone whose house is at 80
Fahrenheit? I don't know for sure though, just read the article recently,
and I may have misunderstood.

Also don't keep the blooming orchid near a bowl of fruit. The ethylene gas
emitted by the ripening fruit will cause the flowers to wilt faster.

Best,
Joanna

Old 09-01-2005, 02:06 PM
Ray

Claude and Joanna have hit most of the variables, but another is the
maturity of the plant.

The first time a particular plant blooms. it may only last a few
weeks, but as it matures (and the variables they mentioned are handled
properly) that can get longer and longer. My personal record was
about 9.5 months for a white with red spotting (I don't recall the
hybrid. It was lost to my "big freeze."), but when I got the plant
about 4 years prior, it bloomed for about 6 weeks.

..