Old 12-01-2005, 02:52 AM
J Fortuna

Default question about 'sun burn' or 'lamp burn'

Help! My Lc was accidentally moved too close to the daylight spectrum
incandescent lamp, and now two of its leaves have been sun burned or rather
lamp burned somewhat -- it has brown areas on the leaf where it was closest
to the lamp. I have now moved it away from the lamp of course, is there
anything else I should do (other than being more careful from now on)?
Should I leave the leaves be? or cut off the burned parts? should I treat it
with anything?
Joanna

Old 12-01-2005, 05:21 AM
Steve

J Fortuna wrote:
Help! My Lc was accidentally moved too close to the daylight spectrum
incandescent lamp, and now two of its leaves have been sun burned or rather
lamp burned somewhat -- it has brown areas on the leaf where it was closest
to the lamp. I have now moved it away from the lamp of course, is there
anything else I should do (other than being more careful from now on)?
Should I leave the leaves be? or cut off the burned parts? should I treat it
with anything?
Joanna

Hi Joanna, I vote for doing nothing. Watch it to be sure rot doesn't set
in and start spreading to more of the leaf. In real life, I find that
burned leaves usually stay out of trouble but will yellow and drop if a
really large part of the leaf gets burned. Unfortunately, I've burned a
lot of leaves over the years. Almost always when the plants were out for
the summer and I misjudged where the sun would hit in the afternoon.

Steve

Old 12-01-2005, 10:59 PM
samaki

I`ve also recently "lamp burned" the leaves of my angraecum sesquipedale,
cattleya warszewiczii and maxilaria tenuifolia. I just wanted them to have
some more light .... ((((. There have quite big brown "scars" but nothing
else happens, so I think the plants should be fine.

greetings from Poland
Martha

Old 18-01-2005, 10:48 PM
QuickGrow South

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Help! My Lc was accidentally moved too close to the daylight spectrum
to t incandescent lamp, and now two of its leaves have been sun burned or
rather
lamp burned somewhat -- it has brown areas on the leaf where it was
closest

he lamp. I have now moved it away from the lamp of course, is there
anything else I should do (other than being more careful from now on)?
Should I leave the leaves be? or cut off the burned parts? should I treat
it
with anything?
Joanna

Get rid of that light. it does nothing for your plants. 90+% of the energy
it gives of is heat(not light) and what little light it does gives off
doesn't stimulate photosynthesis. Replace it with a compact flouescent.
10X the usable light and 1/10 the heat.

Old 19-01-2005, 02:30 AM
Ray

I never would have guessed that "Quick Grow would be a "distributor of
indoor gardening products."

Unless you want to actually contribute, keep such thoughts to
yourself.

..

Old 19-01-2005, 05:09 AM
danny

Did I miss something? The three posts I just saw from "Quick Grow" didn't
seem to be advertisements, and they addressed the posts they were replying
to. I wouldn't use an incandescent light in my plant room either because of
the heat and cost of electricity, I have a mix of fluorescent and HID.
-danny

.

Old 19-01-2005, 05:46 AM
J Fortuna

I have been using these kinds of lights (Agrosun Dayspot) for most of the
time I have been growing orchids, and have been very satisfied with the
results -- I have no doubt that my orchids respond to them, and my light
meter clearly shows that the light is the right level at a certain distance
and it's not just heat. I tried to shop for fluorescents, but since I have
very limited space, and I could not find good fluorescent lights that were
compact locally, and I got confused by the selections, and so I gave up on
the idea.

Joanna

. ..

Old 19-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Ray

Danny, et al:

Sorry if I went off the deep end there.

Those posts certainly weren't ads per se, but they struck me not as
answers intended to share info, but as blurted-out comments based on
the "if you don't do it my way, you're wrong" stance, or in this case,
"unless you do it using stuff that company sells, you're wrong."

..
. ..

Old 19-01-2005, 11:37 PM
QuickGrow South

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Help! My Lc was accidentally moved too close to the daylight spectrum
to t incandescent lamp, and now two of its leaves have been sun burned
or rather
lamp burned somewhat -- it has brown areas on the leaf where it was
closest

he lamp. I have now moved it away from the lamp of course, is there
anything else I should do (other than being more careful from now on)?
Should I leave the leaves be? or cut off the burned parts? should I
treat it
with anything?
Joanna

Get rid of that light. it does nothing for your plants. 90+% of the
energy it gives of is heat(not light) and what little light it does gives
off doesn't stimulate photosynthesis. Replace it with a compact
flouescent. 10X the usable light and 1/10 the heat.

My email account is at work. And I'm sorry for having a quailfied opinion.

Old 20-01-2005, 12:16 AM
Ray

As I said in the comment to which you replied, I apologize for
overreacting.

Over the years we have developed quite a friendly, open environment of
sharing info, not just espousing it - correct or otherwise - behind a
pseudonym. I took your posts, unfortunately, as just that. That is,
I was reacting to the tone, not the content.

..

Sun without Sun. Erik Orchids 8 03-02-2006 10:51 PM
Can you really "burn a lawn" by watering when the sun is shining on it? [email protected] Gardening 1 23-05-2005 08:53 AM
question about 'sun burn' or 'lamp burn' J Fortuna Orchids 0 12-01-2005 02:52 AM
My DIY car head lamp pond light finally went out ;-( matrix j Ponds 0 07-08-2004 11:18 PM
Need mould-killing lamp. Frank Martin Plant Science 5 10-06-2003 02:08 PM