Old 19-01-2005, 07:31 AM
Reka

Default Red phals

K Barrett wrote:
SuE asked about red phals on ABPO and I can't find her original question so
I can ask my friends about their opinions.

SuE, do you recall your question? Can you repost it for me?

K Barrett

She wrote:

"Al and Other Phal experts -
I remember a time when red was not seen in Phal breeding. Then
the Arizona set came along. What was the trigger that freed the
red color to display? Or why can they (you) now produce such
clear pretty reds when they could not before?"

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

Reclaim Your Inbox!

Rediscover the Web!
http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/firefox/

They're free!

Old 19-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Nancy G.

She wrote:

"Al and Other Phal experts -
I remember a time when red was not seen in Phal breeding. Then
the Arizona set came along. What was the trigger that freed the
red color to display? Or why can they (you) now produce such
clear pretty reds when they could not before?"

--
Reka

H.P. Norton of Orchidview addressed the Heart of Dixie Orchid Society
in Huntsville, AL a few years ago. His specialty was hybridizing for
red Phaleanopsis. His approach was to cross purple with yellows, and
keep the the most intense colors and recross with yellow. His logic
was the yellow would eventually cancel the purple leaving a more
intense truer red. His family maintains the tradition at
www.orchidview.com

In his introduction, he said he retired after a massive heart attack,
then started growing, later hybridizing orchids. He gave an
interesting presentation, one that DH enjoyed and remembers fondly. He
joked that he was then on his third and flasking his 4th cross (if I
recall correctly), but would have to live another 20 years to refine
and see the results.

My guess would be that the pursuit of a red phal satisfied his type A
need for control and attention to detail, without the stress in the
corporate world. Plus, many of his crosses were dedicated to his wife,
so it was also a labor of love.

Old 19-01-2005, 08:54 PM
K Barrett

"Nancy G." wrote in message
ups.com...
She wrote:

[...]

Hi Nancy,

Another person emailed me privately that if I ever get a chance to, I should
hear HP Norton talk about phals. I'm going to look up any articles he many
have written. Luckily, the Orchid Digest magazine has their index on their
webpage (as opposed to the AOS, who doesn't) http://www.orchiddigest.org

Also i understand that Gavino Rotor had done some breeding in red pahls too.

K Barrett

red, red, red rose [email protected] Gardening 4 26-04-2005 03:16 PM
using red lava rocks for phals Anne Orchids 5 11-12-2003 09:32 PM
Yellowing leaves on phals rick Orchids 5 23-03-2003 04:08 AM
Sulking phals Ted Byers Orchids 5 21-03-2003 03:56 PM
mini phals rajiv Orchids 18 18-02-2003 03:39 AM