Old 22-01-2005, 09:34 AM
Xi Wang

Default Nomenclature question

Hi,

Thinking of making some purchases this year - I was at a website and I
noticed that some of the plants were indicated as mericlones, but they
had no cultivar name. I surmise that these were just plants that got
cloned for mass production because they looked good, but no one ever
bothered to give them a clonal name. So the question arises, if I were
to buy one of these un-named clones, and it got awarded, would I be able
to give it a cultivar name? It would require one if it was awarded
right? But then the problem is, all the other clones of that plant
would have the same award, but no name. What's the protocol in such a
situation? TIA

Cheers,
Xi
Old 22-01-2005, 09:41 PM
Xi Wang

Thanks Ray, I think that's what I'll do in such an event. A couple of
plants I was thinking of were Phal. Brother Girl and Phal. Brother Sara
Gold. There are bunch of them on the net that are mericlones, but have
no clonal name. There's also a Dtps. Kenneth Schubert out there, which
I know is a mericlone but has no clonal name because I did contact the
vendor to ask. You'd think it would be common sense to name any plant
that you clone, by giving it a _clonal_ name.

Cheers,
Xi

Ray wrote:
I think your best course of action is to contact the merchant and ask
for the cultivar of the tissue-cultured plant. If your assumption
about it being nice enough to replicate, but still unnamed stands,
then you would have to assign the name. I suppose that he ought to be
the one assigning the name, as it was he that selected that plant for
replication, but he may tell you to go ahead.

After that, you are again correct, all of the "sister" plants should
be of the same cultivar, so I suppose your next step is to go back to
the merchant and advise him that he's selling awarded clones of that
cultivar. I don't believe it's your responsibility to do so, but it
does attempt to set things right, and it allows him to charge more for
his plants!

Technically, all of the "sisters" of that plant would carry the
cultivar epithet and the award (unless it's a CCM, which is really a
grower's award). In my mind, the real issue is if someone else gets
one awarded and has assigned their own name, which I believe, has
happened. Maybe someone else can fill in some details.

Old 23-01-2005, 05:28 PM
auntymo

hi xi,

i have seen one dtps. kenneth schubert with a clonal name, 'oriental sky'
from www.orchidsinourtropics.com

i have also seen phal. brother girl 'brother' and phal brother sara gold
'peach', 'f623', 'b#1', and 'sogo', so it seems some of them *do* have
clonal names.

so perhaps you should contact the vendor and ask?

--mo--

Old 23-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Xi Wang

Hi Mo,

Thanks, I will certainly do that when I make the purchases. However,
for the Kenneth Schubert, I've already asked, and the vendor just said
there wasn't one. It was just one of those plants picked for mass
production but never named. I too have seen a bunch of clonal names
though: 'oriental sky' HCC/AOS, 'blue' 'blue angel' 'blue ribbon'.

Cheers,
Xi

auntymo wrote:
hi xi,

i have seen one dtps. kenneth schubert with a clonal name, 'oriental sky'
from www.orchidsinourtropics.com

i have also seen phal. brother girl 'brother' and phal brother sara gold
'peach', 'f623', 'b#1', and 'sogo', so it seems some of them *do* have
clonal names.

so perhaps you should contact the vendor and ask?

--mo--

Nomenclature Question Mareyn Plant Science 4 16-03-2006 09:49 PM
Nomenclature boothbay Orchids 3 17-06-2005 09:19 PM
Raspberry nomenclature Mike Lyle Plant Science 2 02-08-2004 05:45 PM
Researching nomenclature changes (gonolobus to matelea) David Hamilton Cox Plant Science 3 30-05-2004 06:09 PM
nomenclature Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 24-09-2003 08:12 PM