Old 23-01-2005, 09:18 PM
samaki

Default In the middle of winter

Hi everyone !

Not much is happening in the orchid world this time of the year so I decided
to show a very beautiful deep red phal I bought yesterday (beautiful for
those who like peloric ones) :

http://80.55.153.150/orchidee/sandra...ric%20red1.jpg

a cute BL Jimminey Cricket:

http://80.55.153.150/orchidee/sandra...%20Cricket.jpg

and sth really nice, but I have no idea what. Odontoglossum ? Oncidium ? :

http://80.55.153.150/orchidee/sandra...um%20NOID1.jpg

greetings from Poland
Martha

Old 24-01-2005, 03:32 AM
J Fortuna

Matha,
That is indeed a cute peloric Phal!
Joanna

Old 24-01-2005, 09:46 AM
samaki

Yeah, it was smiling to me so I bargained very hard - the price was 15$ and
I`ve paid half of it ))

greetings from snowy Poland
Martha

:

Old 24-01-2005, 01:40 PM
J Fortuna

Greetings from snowy Washington DC!

By the way, for the American readers of this newsgroup who are not familiar
with Poland's economic situation: in Poland wages are usually still much
lower than in the US, many of the prices are much lower thankfully as well
but not all unfortunately, so often Polish people earn much less than their
American counterparts and are expected to pay similar prices. $15 for a Phal
in the US is not at all unreasonable, but in Poland the price is expensive.
If you earn much less than the prices appear in effect much higher in
comparison. I remember when I came to Poland many items in the stores
appeared very inexpensive to me since I earn in the US, but my grandmother
would say that I had paid a high price.

Good for you Martha to get this nice orchid for a more reasonable price.

Joanna

"samaki" wrote in message
Hi everyone !

Not much is happening in the orchid world this time of the year so I

decided
to show a very beautiful deep red phal I bought yesterday (beautiful

for
those who like peloric ones) :

http://80.55.153.150/orchidee/sandra...ric%20red1.jpg

a cute BL Jimminey Cricket:

http://80.55.153.150/orchidee/sandra...%20Cricket.jpg

and sth really nice, but I have no idea what. Odontoglossum ? Oncidium

?
:

Old 24-01-2005, 02:10 PM
J Fortuna

From the World Factbook 2004
http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications...ook/index.html

Poland: GDP - per capita: purchasing power parity - $11,100 (2004 est.)
United States: GDP - per capita: purchasing power parity - $37,800 (2004
est.)

Does this mean that a $15 orchid in Poland is equivalent to a $45 orchid in
the US? Any economics majors out there?

Joanna

Old 24-01-2005, 05:35 PM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:10:34 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

From the World Factbook 2004
http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications...ook/index.html

Poland: GDP - per capita: purchasing power parity - $11,100 (2004 est.)
United States: GDP - per capita: purchasing power parity - $37,800 (2004
est.)

Does this mean that a $15 orchid in Poland is equivalent to a $45 orchid in
the US? Any economics majors out there?

Joanna

Great Shopping and a good buy. There are lots of inter-generic
crosses that appear similar to your 'oncid' from Colmanara
Wildcat to Odontocidiums or Wilsonara Golden Afternoon. As a
NOID I would just call it 'Martha's Smile' It is certainly a
bright and happy flower.

Not an economics major. But on the straight 11 to 37 comparison
you come out with 11100 as 29% of the 37800 thus I would say a
$15 orchid equals a $51 orchid here.

We also have to remember that the Orchid is further down on the
needs list. When prices are high and wages low. Think of your
self as a subsistence worker here. Food, housing, clothing take
a much higher percentage of your available dollars.

SuE