GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dendrobium canes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/89133-dendrobium-canes.html)

Larry 24-01-2005 07:38 PM

Dendrobium canes

I was repotting a dendrobium (do not know species) this weekend. 3 canes
(connected together) broke off from the rest of the plant. The rest of the
plant was potted. What should I do with the other 3 older canes? Two of
the 3 seem healthy (one was a little soft), but they do not have any roots
attached.

Thanks in advance -

Larry

V_coerulea 25-01-2005 01:16 AM

Dendrobium backbulbs will frequently throw new shoots which will root. You
can stake it in a small clay pot (for the weight) with a well drained mix
and only mist until new growth shows. Alternately you can lie the canes down
on a bed of spaghnum. Many joints should throw keikis (new young plants)
which can then be detached and grown on their own. If the canes are yellow
or soft just toss them as they won't grow anything.
Gary

Larry 29-01-2005 04:35 PM

Do I use the whole canes after separating them from each other at the
bottom, or just a portion of the canes?

Any specific recommendations as to how much of the cane should be buried in
the potting mix?

Also, if I use a bed of sphagnum moss, I suppose I should keep the moss
moist, correct?

Thanks in advance...

Larry

Lady Blacksword 29-01-2005 11:26 PM

I've been trying this on Sue's advice, and used the whole cane (the part
that broke off in my case) with the bottom end kinda tucked into the sphag.
(I stuck the sphag in a little wicker basket left over from Easter and hung
it under my grow lights) I've been misting the whole thing every cople of
days (it's really dry here) to keep it vaguely moist. It seems to be
working, as one of the two canes is starting to keiki at a node.
Murri

Drbob92031 01-02-2005 07:16 PM

Murri:

I tried the same thing with a flowering spike from dends (which broke off) and
the blooms withered off but the spike is still green and I am hopefull. Like
you, I just stuck into the medium of another orchid.
Bob

Lady Blacksword 02-02-2005 01:07 AM

Actually, since I had two canes, I used a wicker basket w/ some kinda old
moss. I figure I can just tuck any other casualities in there that way, w/
plenty of room.
Murri

Drbob92031 02-02-2005 01:47 PM

Actually, since I had two canes, I used a wicker basket w/ some kinda old
moss. I figure I can just tuck any other casualities in there that way, w/
plenty of room.
Murri

"Drbob92031" wrote in message
Murri:

I tried the same thing with a flowering spike from dends (which broke off)
and
the blooms withered off but the spike is still green and I am hopefull.
Like
you, I just stuck into the medium of another orchid.
Bob

Murri:
Let's both keep our fingers crossed.
Bob

Lady Blacksword 20-02-2005 03:30 AM

Till they do, or till they crumble when light pressure is applied, far as I
can tell. I've got one of mine showing two keikies, the other cane hasn't
done anything so far.
Be patient,
Murri