Old 24-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Larry

Default Orchid illness

I have a question about an orchid. It is labeled as Epi. Star Valley x
Joseph Lii Lake View (I'm not sure about the "LII" - everything is
capitalized).

Lately I noticed some leaf damage. The plant has otherwise done well.

I posted 2 pictures on the web:
http://www.lwpes.org/temp/EpiLeaf1.jpg
http://www.lwpes.org/temp/EpiLeaf2.jpg

Notice in picture 1 the area of dead tissue. There are 2 leaves on the plant
with this damage. Also on picture 1 is an area of decreased pigmentation
adjacent to the dead tissue area. Several leaves have just started to show
this discoloration with lighter green coloring. On picture 2 you can see the
area of dead tissue, and to the right of that is the area of discoloration.
Several leaves have this discoloration, though not has large as in picture
#1.

I have isolated the plant away from my others. When I was taking the
pictures today I noted some hard scale on a couple leafs, but I would not
think scale does this damage.

Fungal? Viral?

How do I treat?

I have sprayed it with Physan 20 (1 tablespoon per gallon); today I used
neem oil, too. Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance...

Larry

Old 24-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Rob Halgren

Larry wrote:
I have a question about an orchid. It is labeled as Epi. Star Valley x
Joseph Lii Lake View (I'm not sure about the "LII" - everything is
capitalized).

Lately I noticed some leaf damage. The plant has otherwise done well.

I posted 2 pictures on the web:
http://www.lwpes.org/temp/EpiLeaf1.jpg
http://www.lwpes.org/temp/EpiLeaf2.jpg

Are they all on the same side of the plant? Perhaps the side that faces
the window? Looks like a little sunburn to me... Frankly if that was
the least of the afflictions on my reed stem epidendrums I'd be quite
happy. But they bloom better if you scorch 'em a bit. *grin*

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You could sprinkle a little
cinnamon on the affected areas, if you want.

Joseph Lii is a classic reed stem epidendrum. You should write that
parent as Joseph Lii "Lake View".

Rob

2a) See rule 1
orchids, obtain more credit

LittlefrogFarm - Growing the plants Rob likes. )

Old 25-01-2005, 12:05 AM
Diana Kulaga

Agree with Rob. Unfortunately, I have too much experience with sunburn after
our storms. Many very high patio screens are still out, and it's a juggle to
figure out just where the sun will be hitting the hardest day to day.
Luckily, the plants will be okay.

Don't worry; be happy....

Diana

Old 25-01-2005, 02:06 AM
V_coerulea

I agree too that it looks like sunburn. Epi Star Valley can take full sun
when aclimated to it. But then the leaves usually have a reddish tinge to
them. I'd say that the sun hit when there was still some water on the leaf.
It doesn't look like anything terminal.
Gary
"Larry" wrote in message
I have a question about an orchid. It is labeled as Epi. Star Valley x
Joseph Lii Lake View (I'm not sure about the "LII" - everything is
capitalized).

Lately I noticed some leaf damage. The plant has otherwise done well.

I posted 2 pictures on the web:
http://www.lwpes.org/temp/EpiLeaf1.jpg
http://www.lwpes.org/temp/EpiLeaf2.jpg

Notice in picture 1 the area of dead tissue. There are 2 leaves on the
plant with this damage. Also on picture 1 is an area of decreased
pigmentation adjacent to the dead tissue area. Several leaves have just
started to show this discoloration with lighter green coloring. On picture
2 you can see the area of dead tissue, and to the right of that is the
area of discoloration. Several leaves have this discoloration, though not
has large as in picture #1.

Old 26-01-2005, 02:31 AM
Larry

Thanks to those who replied, reassuring me that it is nothing serious.

However, the orchid lives on shelving with flouorescent lights during the
winter when it is too cold to keep outside. Prior to that they were outside
in a screened in patio.
Could the fluorescent bulbs cause this?

Larry

"Larry" wrote in message
I have a question about an orchid. It is labeled as Epi. Star Valley x
Joseph Lii Lake View (I'm not sure about the "LII" - everything is
capitalized).

Lately I noticed some leaf damage. The plant has otherwise done well.

I posted 2 pictures on the web:
http://www.lwpes.org/temp/EpiLeaf1.jpg
http://www.lwpes.org/temp/EpiLeaf2.jpg

Notice in picture 1 the area of dead tissue. There are 2 leaves on the
plant with this damage. Also on picture 1 is an area of decreased
pigmentation adjacent to the dead tissue area. Several leaves have just
started to show this discoloration with lighter green coloring. On
picture 2 you can see the area of dead tissue, and to the right of that
is the area of discoloration. Several leaves have this discoloration,
though not has large as in picture #1.

Old 26-01-2005, 05:48 AM
Steve

Fluorescent lights couldn't do that unless the leaves were touching the
tubes. Considering the location on the plant, that should be impossible.
If that is sunburn (and it sure looks like it is), it must have happened
when the plant was still outside.

Steve

"V_coerulea" wrote in message

I agree too that it looks like sunburn. Epi Star Valley can take full sun
when aclimated to it. But then the leaves usually have a reddish tinge to
them. I'd say that the sun hit when there was still some water on the leaf.
It doesn't look like anything terminal.
Gary
. ..