Old 30-01-2005, 07:22 PM
sandra

Default A few repotting Questions?

Hello Everyone,
I posted here a while back about a seedling that I had purchased,
anyway....when I first examined it, it's leaves were translucent, but
as soon as I exposed it to a higher level of humdiity that changed, but
now, I was examining the roots just because I had a strange feeling,
anyway there are more dead roots than live, and the dead roots have
become very paper-like.....
I'm going to purchase some orchid bark, but since it is a seedling, and
very, very delicate, I was wondering if maybe I should go with a moss
instead, it came with fir bark.......
As well, should I buy some rooting hormone, I read somewhere that it
may help orchids with a failing root system develop new roots.
Anyway, any help would be much appreciated
Thanks
Sandra

Old 30-01-2005, 10:03 PM
Diana Kulaga

Hi, Sandra,

Could you tell us what kind of orchid this is? And just how large is this
seedling, and how many roots have you got? What is it presently potted in?

There are options, but it's important to know what you have there. And,
rooting hormone certainly can't hurt.

Diana

Old 30-01-2005, 10:13 PM
sandra

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Hi, Sandra,

Could you tell us what kind of orchid this is? And just how large is

this
seedling, and how many roots have you got? What is it presently

potted in?

There are options, but it's important to know what you have there.

And,
rooting hormone certainly can't hurt.

Diana

Thank You Diana, it's a Phal.Amabilis, it has 2 leaves, and one is
about 3 inches, and the other is about 1.5, it only has to leaves.
Anyway, I recieved it in some fir bark, and most of the roots were
probably already dead because I recieved it 2 weeks ago, and have only
watered twice when the media was dry......
It doesn't have many healthy roots, a lot of the dead roots are still
plump, but they're already black and nasty where the roots meets the
plant.
As I said, the leaves are dark green, they don't look sick, and I was
just hoping that it may not be too late to bag it or maybe repot it,
and save it
I'm keeping it under more humidity than usual right now, with more air
circulation.....just to keep the roots, and the tiny arial root it has
plump.
Thanks
Sandra.

Old 31-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Diana Kulaga

[...]

As long as there are roots and a couple of healthy leaves, hope lives!
Personally, I'd soak some spaghnum moss with rooting hormone and repot into
that. Dust the areas that look black with a little cinnamon, and/or a spray
of peroxide. Avoid coating the roots with cinnamon, however. Keep the
application local. HTH

Diana

"Green Waste" and fence panels - long and a few questions Warwick United Kingdom 0 20-04-2003 01:44 AM
a few questions Nic Bonsai 1 31-03-2003 03:32 PM
[IBC] a few questions kevin bailey Bonsai 0 31-03-2003 09:32 AM