Old 02-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Diana Kulaga

Sounds like a wonderful time was had by one and all! I know what you mean
about missing the group, too. Things have been hectic, and my attendance
here has been sporadic. Hope that will change next week.

XOX

Diana

Old 03-02-2005, 03:32 AM
wendy7

Default Boy, have I missed you guys!

It's good to see you back Reka,
Sounds like you had a hectic but wonderful time.
You most certainly fulfilled your orchid satiation!*g*
No doubt, you will love the speed of DSL & we can respond
faster on the news groups.
Start saving those Euros for a g/h.
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Reka wrote:
HI!

I am back after a long weekend of work at our first orchid show (Jan
21-23) and all of ten days with no Internet access! But the wait was
worth it - I now have DSL. YIPPEE!!!! They said the change would be
seamless, and they were right. The edges of both services (I
previously had ISDN) were so far apart that there was no danger of a
seam getting in there anywhere. ;-)

Our orchid show went well. It was very simple by American standards.
We had seven vendors:
Kopf Orchids, Germany - http://www.orchideen-kopf.de/
Orchidee Rare, Italy - http://www.orchideerare.com/orchideerare.htm
Orchideria di Morosolo, Italy - http://www.orchideriadimorosolo.it/
Eisenheimer Orchideen, Germany
Gartenbau Florida, Italy - http://www.gamberoni.com
Ryanne Orchidees, France - (daughter of Wubben from Holland)
Pazuzu Extreme Flora, Germany

The exhibition area was supplied by the vendors, with wonderful
specimen plants and for this area rare plants like Renanthera and
Oerstedella("Orchids" here consist of Phals, yellow Oncs, some Dens
and sometimes include an odd Odont or two).

We had operating hours of 9 - 6 Friday to Sunday, with bar and kitchen
also operated by our members. There was a very well-appreciated
repotting and "diagnosis" service and the local bookshop gave us books
about orchids we could sell on commission. The entrance fee was 3
euros per person, 1.50 for kids 10-18, with the proceeds going toward
conservation of the rain forest in Costa Rica.

We had over 4000 visitors and the show was considered a success by
all, vendors, members and visitors. We are planning the next one for
2007. and we have lots of money for our conservation project! The place
was
so crowded on Sunday that I escaped behind a vendor's bench and
helped sell!
I worked at the entrance for a whole day, and it was wonderful to see
people go around the doors to the show hall and watch their
expressions. I saw lots of jaws dropping and smiles.

And what did I end up with? Much to my husband's dismay:
Lc. Daniris - in bloom - a lovely fragrance, two huge 7" flowers on a
huge plant - Euro 30
Slc. Miyuki Little King (Lc. Mini Purple x Sophronitis
brevipedunculata) - two shocking purple flowers on a small plant -
Gift from the vendor I helped on Sunday
Vanda Yellow Magic - huge yellow blooms with red spots and a green lip
on two spikes - Euro 30
Phal. tetraspis - Euro 15
Phal. stuartiana - in spike - Euro 15
Phal. gigantea - 3-4" leafspan; maybe it will bloom by the time I die!
;-) - Euro 26
Candy-stripe NOID Phal in bloom - Gift from the club for all my help
Den NOID in bloom - pink with white tips - Euro 20

What dismayed my husband even more was the fact that my 14yo son who
also helped out came home with 7 orchids - his first! And he only
bought ONE: the rest were presents from the vendors he helped
translate and sell for!!!
His list:
Coelogyne cristata in bloom
Coelogyne rhodeana (trinervis) - division
Bl. Dipozzi Con Brio (Brassovola nodosa x Laelia angereri) in bloom
Epi. porpax in bloom
Epi. difforme
Masdevallia Mary Staal in bloom
Oerstedella centradenia in bloom - Euro 7

Yikes! We need a greenhouse!

In any case, I am glad to be able to read abpo and rgo again, and will
be posting pics from today on at abpo.

Old 03-02-2005, 04:31 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 21:01:24 +0100, Reka
wrote:

HI!

I am back after a long weekend of work at our first orchid show (Jan
21-23) and all of ten days with no Internet access! But the wait was
worth it - I now have DSL. YIPPEE!!!! They said the change would be
seamless, and they were right. The edges of both services (I previously
had ISDN) were so far apart that there was no danger of a seam getting
in there anywhere. ;-)

Our orchid show went w

I was about to send out the search and rescue dogs.. ;^)
You will really have fun now. I noticed all the photo posts. OH
BOY I will have something to sooth my taxed soul.

Glad to hear your bring him up right. Work for your hobby -
don't pay for it. G Lots of great prizes in both your baskets.
Good work both of you.

I agree with Kath. Why wait until '07? Just make it smaller so
you can manage it. We have 4-5 vendors each fall at our regular
semi-annual show. We buy from the vendors and sell general
beginner plants in the spring. This is where we get our budget.

Twice a year we do a show. It is always a 1 day set up, 2 days
open to visitors show. The kitchen is generally hospitality food
for lunch, But we do a Preview party for the club members after
setup, Breakfast for the judges (Judge Sat between 7:30 am and
9am when the gardens open). Then we close on Sunday about 5 for
knock- down. It is shocking how fast everything becomes trash or
dust on the floor. In the fall vendors and members put together
displays. In the spring (no in house vendors) so it is all
members' displays. (March 11-13 if anyone is in Denver)
SuE

Old 03-02-2005, 10:18 AM
Dave Gillingham

Welcome back! You must have earned at least one bar to your own
"Orchid Bug" medal from all that. Glad for your sake & the club's
sake that it was such a resounding success. One of the advantages of
Europe is the way you can get vendors from so many countries.

Old 03-02-2005, 03:56 PM
K Barrett

"Reka" wrote in message
K Barrett wrote:
Wonderful report. Why wait till 2007 for your next show? Are they not
considered annual events in Europe, like they are here?

Yes, one of the local nurseries does an annual show, but they have their
own products to sell and don't have to pay for a hall to have it in.
The rooms alone cost us Euro 3000. We are on the lookout for a better
and cheaper place.

--
Reka

Here shows are held at places like malls, municipal Park and Recreation
departments, botanic gardens, libraries, art galleries or museums. Some are
held in hotels. Some are held in other organization's halls, like the
Kiwainis, the Masons, the VFW. Or a church. Yes, I know you don't have the
Kiwanis or teh VFW in Europe, however I'm sure there are similar
organizations you can scout out. I only mention so you can get ideas.
Usually its the 'getting' of ideas that is the stumbling block.

And if you don't mind my saying so, the organization and the publicity are
the heart of the matter. They are the toughest jobs, the set up and tear
down are fun by comparison. If you are good at publicity then you'll go
far!

K Barrett

Old 03-02-2005, 04:45 PM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:18:02 +1000, Dave Gillingham
wrote:

Welcome back! You must have earned at least one bar to your own
"Orchid Bug" medal from all that. Glad for your sake & the club's
sake that it was such a resounding success. One of the advantages of
Europe is the way you can get vendors from so many countries.

I just can not get over the size of the displays.

As to Judging. Get a group of knowledgeable members to "choose"
best 2 -3 in each category. Practice on your show and tell tables
at meetings. Choose the best Phal under lights, vs best in
another growing situation. Do best display and just set a
certificate out to educate the visiting public. Any education
generally is a hit with the public.

Get a group to do Education talks all day during the show. How
to grow Phal or Catt. OR try to get members to work on an
display of beginner orchids with lots of education thrown in.

Our sellers work from the same banquet tables usually 2 to a
vendor. Everything else is on the floor underneath or behind
them. They would love to have as much space as your talking
about.

At our spring show when we do the selling, it is just boxes set
with plants pot to pot down the table. We are trying to display
all the plants for sale (750 or so). Not much space between and
generally 300-400 are Phals, 200-300 Den hybrids. The rest are a
mix of things the vendors will sell for less than 10 (w/shipping)
that are easy to grow. This last 100 is for the grower in the
club. Some of the Phals are choice too. But a lot of the stock
is very basic 'pot plant' orchids. We are after the public and
have a group of faithful. They come and buy every year. They do
not join the club. And evidently don't manage to grow or
re-bloom the plants.

For catching the general public - our style of shopping mall is a
great location. For security it is usually the worst. The malls
will often sponsor a show. For the publicity they can make of
having an ORCHID SHOW on premises. Some with naturalized
planters will allow displays along and into the planter and will
even provide 'rope fence' to keep people out of the displays. We
had one in a mall the display on first floor in the center and
the vendors along the walls on second. Allowed visitors to look
down on the blooms - that was different. It provided the stores
upstairs some traffic as well as people sought out more flowers.
The general public will look over the vendor sales area as just
more displays of flowers as often as to shop.
SuE
Old 03-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Reka

K Barrett wrote:
"Reka" wrote in message

K Barrett wrote:

[...]

Nope, none of those. Malls - no; P&R depts - no; botanic gardens - no;
libraries - none in the area large enough; art galleries and museums -
ditto.
Hotels - ha! They are all on vacation at this time of year; any of the
above named groups meet in the hotels for lunch; the church - cold and
drafty - no.
We could try the unheated fire dept. building. grin

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html
Old 03-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Reka

wrote:

[...]

Good ideas, SuE. Now if we only had a mall. NOT!
As to security, we did have a few plants walk off. And purportedly they
went walking with members. Sad. But no proof.

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

YOU have a problem with weeds, oh boy! Cerumen United Kingdom 0 27-11-2004 07:45 PM
questions about Celebrity, Better Boy, and Big Boy tomtaoes Thomas Jacobs Gardening 1 26-02-2004 05:46 PM
You guys have to watch new show on ESPN2 ... "Caught Ya!" Maxcapac45 Gardening 1 16-02-2004 09:34 PM
Missed You Guys! Reka Orchids 2 23-02-2003 08:04 PM
Big Boy or Better Boy tomatoes Andy N Edible Gardening 5 02-02-2003 01:01 AM