Old 08-02-2005, 05:39 PM
K Barrett

Default Zygo mackayi again

This is Julian Shaw's latest missive.

Further to my e-mail regarding the correct spelling of the name Zygo.
mackayi, the matter was discussed at the recent meeting of APONAT, the
following is part of a reply.

"We were unable to satisfy ourselves about the correct answer at this stage
and I said I would look into the argument that went into the decision
regarding the heather named after the same man. I will let you know what
happens. It looks to me as though Hooker took the view that 'y' was a letter
foreign to latin and deliberately chose not to use it. I am not sure 60C.1
applies here as part of the argument as we are dealing with a change to the
stem of the word not its termination. If 60C.3 was a rule then we probably
could 'correct' it but it is only a recommendation so I am not sure we can
correct on that basis. We noted that y may be foreign to latin but not to
latin plant names. We should stick to our current practice until a clear
ruling can be given."

The next meeting of APONAT is scheduled for 11th May, so we will both be
interested to hear what they come up with.

Best regards
Julian.

Old 08-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Eric Hunt

Kathy,

Thanks for taking this to Julian's attention and bringing the responses back
to us!

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 08-02-2005, 08:41 PM
K Barrett

I'm not sure where this discussion has taken us... seems like you can call
the plant whatever you like. For me, I'm staying with mackayi, because that
way I know it honors a fellow named MacKay, and that's how it is in Sanders,
as well as other books, so I'm sticking with that one.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:15 PM
wendy7

Yes thanks much Kathy, I will stick with what is on my tag as well.
Have noted both names in my database.
Also saving this info for my mentor.
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Z mackayi Pat Brennan Orchids 11 17-02-2006 01:36 PM
Bloody VERMIN Cats again, and again, and again, and again....:-(((( Mike United Kingdom 22 03-05-2005 01:59 PM
Attn Zygo growers Reka Orchids 9 24-02-2005 07:17 AM
Zygo mackaii/mackayi K Barrett Orchids 3 01-02-2005 09:18 PM
Zygopetalum mackayi bloom time? Caren Orchids 5 30-01-2003 11:45 PM