Old 12-02-2005, 05:32 AM
Rick Brewer

Default Wheres' the Monitor of this group and why is he/she not deleting stuff like this header below?

?

Old 12-02-2005, 05:49 AM
Steve

Rick Brewer wrote:
?

There is no Monitor, we are all alone and at the mercy of spamers of any
sort. I think I know the header you are referring to but I deleted it
without opening it. Delete it yourself.

Steve
Old 12-02-2005, 06:19 AM
J Fortuna

Rick,
rec.gardens.orchids is not a moderated group. Given that it is not
moderated, it is actually quite amazing how few spam messages we get here.
We also have very few off topic messages. Flames are relatively rare. People
here are patient with beginner's questions, and we also get discussions that
are quite sophisticated at times. It's a high quality group. The few spam
messages that we do get, can usually be easily recognized by cursory
scanning of subject, and deleted without opening. A moderated group would
have the disadvantages of needing someone who actually spends the time
moderating, messages would not appear on the group right away (now they do
appear right away, unless one uses Google Groups to read them), and there
would be the potential for censorship -- not everyone might agree about what
is inappropriate, though some messages clearly are, there are enough gray
areas. I wouldn't want this group to be moderated, and in the case of
rec.gardens.orchids there is really no need for it to be. Look at many other
newsgroups out there for comparison, if you think that this group needs
moderating!
Joanna

"Rick Brewer" wrote in message
oups.com...
?

Old 12-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Rick Brewer

I agree with you, Joanna, and for the great information I have received
from thethis NG, I guess I'll have to put up with the occasional
spammer.

On to my question, the one I had before the other one...I have 2 potted
orchids, (I'm a beginner, mind you) and one has 8 root-like growths out
of the pot, with a demension of 1/4 x 6 to 8 inches in length. Leave
them alone, cut them off? Don't dare want to kill this beauty.

Rick B.

Old 12-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Phalguy

Hello Rick!

Don`t cut them! The plant uses them to get moisture and nutrients from the
air!
Leave them alone!

Claude

Old 12-02-2005, 03:13 PM
Ray

Adding to Claude's good advice - when you water, be sure to soak those
aerial roots. The silvery-white velamen will turn transparent when it fills
with water, allowing you to see the green interior of the roots. That
velamen is actually a spongy network of dead cells that act to store water
and nutrients until they can be transferred to the living root tissue for
uptake.

Old 12-02-2005, 03:15 PM
Rick Brewer

Thank you, Mr. C!

Old 13-02-2005, 11:56 AM
keith ;-\)

Thanks for the deleting tip Steve I didn't know you could and have just
fiddled about and found how too.I didn't get the message through my internet
service provider but did get it through teranews?

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.
"Steve" wrote in message
?

Old 13-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Steve

keith ;-) wrote:
........I didn't get the message through my internet
service provider but did get it through teranews?

That's a good sign. Your ISP is probably trying to filter out spam. I
know I sometimes see a reply to a message I didn't get and it's ALWAYS a
message I didn't want to get. Since most junk posts don't get a reply
from anyone, I can only imagine how many I am never aware of.

Steve