Old 15-02-2005, 05:31 AM
Larry

Default Burr Stephen Isler

My wife gave me an orchid for Valentine's day (isn't she thoughtful?) --
Burr Stephen Isler. She purchased it from Home Depot. It is a name I had
never heard of and had to look up. I found a picture at
http://www.notsogreenthumb.org/orchi.../genera1.htm#B. The plant looks
great - 4 flowers already and 12 more buds in line to open.

According to the above web site it has 4 parent species. I'm not sure which
species it will mimic in terms of its water, light, temp needs.

Can anyone give me some growing tips on this plant - watering needs, light
requirements, temperature, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Larry

Old 15-02-2005, 10:40 AM
Ray

Larry,

It's Burrageara Stefan Isler - with an "f", not a "ph," which is a cross
between a vuylstekeara (made up of cochlioda, miltonia, odontoglossum) on
one side, and the species Oncidium leucochilum on the other.

Vuylstekearas tend to like cool to intermediate temperatures, bright,
indirect light, and fairly constant moisture. The oncidium species can be
found growing in any where from hot to downright cold conditions in nature,
but under similar light levels.

I have both the burrageara and the oncidium species growing in
semi-hydroponic culture, so the moist but airy conditions must be acceptable
to them. My greenhouse is probably a bit warmer than they like (I keep a
57°-60°F minimum, and 80's on a sunny day is fairly normal), but they are
growing well.

Old 16-02-2005, 09:51 PM
Gene Schurg

Larry,

I killed mine a slow death. I think I kept it too hot. One of the growers
in our society has one he brings in to show in January that is huge. He
boasts that it loves his culture because he's too cheap to buy oil to heat
the greenhouse.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 18-02-2005, 02:41 AM
Larry

Ray and Gene --

Thanks for the tips. I will certainly be cautious in the summer, when most
of my plants go outside, in preventing this particular plant from getting
too hot.

Larry

Old 19-02-2005, 01:34 AM
Dave Sheehy

I'm in N. California and grow mine in a north window with a bunch of Phals.
That means its in the intermediate range temperature wise and gets light in
the upper Phal range (~1000fc). I endeavor to keep it evenly moist. So far
so good, it just finished blooming about a month ago. The flowers lasted a
long time.

Dave

Gene Schurg ) wrote:
: Larry,

: I killed mine a slow death. I think I kept it too hot. One of the growers
: in our society has one he brings in to show in January that is huge. He
: boasts that it loves his culture because he's too cheap to buy oil to heat
: the greenhouse.

: Good Growing,
: Gene

: ...