Old 16-02-2005, 11:19 AM
TU

Default Renanthera mautiana ?

I bought a Renanthera mautiana (?) from a nursery last weekend. I
thought it was a species, but couldn't find any info on this plant on
the net. Could someone tell me if this is a species or a hybrid? Or if
the spelling is incorrect? TIA

TU
Old 16-02-2005, 01:50 PM
Wendy

Could it be ""matutina"" ? I think this is a species.
Remove peterpan for email reply

Cheers Wendy

Old 16-02-2005, 09:17 PM
TU

Thanks Wendy for the reply, but this is a small plant with the stem no
longer than 7cm (3"?) and it has 2 old flower spikes on it. I read
that matutina is a much bigger plant?

TU

Old 16-02-2005, 09:53 PM
Rob Halgren

TU wrote:
Thanks Wendy for the reply, but this is a small plant with the stem no
longer than 7cm (3"?) and it has 2 old flower spikes on it. I read
that matutina is a much bigger plant?

Don't know anything about Ren. matutina, but this guy says that it is a
small grower:

http://www.speciesorchids.com/RenantheraSpecies.html

Don't trust anything you read on the internet (or anything I write to
the newsgroup). But the first couple links I followed both said that it
was a small grower.

Now, if I believe the brief description on orchidspecies.com

"A large sized, hot growing vine-like epiphytic native of Thailand,
Sumatra, Java and Malaysia with a long stem carrying many, distant,
oblong or lorate, fleshy, stiff leaves that flowers on an axillary, 2
3/4' to 3' [50 to 90 cm] long, paniculate, many flowered inflorescence
with ovate, reflexed floral bracts and occuring in autumn"

This indicates to me that somebody is wrong. I don't know who. If you
can get hold of the primary reference material, you can figure it out.
As you know, it is not unusual for the wrong name to get assigned to a
species. Somebody propagates it and sells it with the wrong name, and
it stays messed up forever...

If you really have a burning desire to know, send a sample to Selby (a
flower and a description of the vegetative parts of the plant is usually
sufficient). And, most importantly, when you figure it out, let the
person who is wrong know about your results. Heck, let us all know.

Rob

2a) See rule 1
orchids, obtain more credit

LittlefrogFarm - Growing the plants Rob likes. )

Old 17-02-2005, 01:06 AM
Phil Diamond

I've seen Ren. matutina in flower, twice. It is a small, very slow
grower. Mine (which is too small to flower) is growing agonizingly
slowly!

The photo of the flower at orchidspecies.com looks right, but the plant
description is outside my limited experience.

Cordially, Phil
--
################################################## #############################
Dr Phil Diamond

Old 17-02-2005, 06:41 AM
TU

Thanks all for your input.
I'm tempted to think that it's a Ren monachica as these plants are
also available at the nursery. Why there're labelled differently is
beyond me, but both Ren mautiana and Ren monachica look the same at
the nursery.

As long as it's a Ren monachica and not an unknown hybrid, I'm happy.
Will confirm that when it flowers this Autumn (hopefully).

Cheers
T.U

"Edmond Cormier" wrote in message news:teUQd.411573$6l.328554@pd7tw2no...
Renanthera monachica is, I think, a small renanthera and is not too rare.
Ed Cormier
om...

Old 17-02-2005, 06:41 AM
TU

Thanks all for your input.
I'm tempted to think that it's a Ren monachica as these plants are
also available at the nursery. Why there're labelled differently is
beyond me, but both Ren mautiana and Ren monachica look the same at
the nursery.

As long as it's a Ren monachica and not an unknown hybrid, I'm happy.
Will confirm that when it flowers this Autumn (hopefully).

Cheers
T.U

"Edmond Cormier" wrote in message news:teUQd.411573$6l.328554@pd7tw2no...
Renanthera monachica is, I think, a small renanthera and is not too rare.
Ed Cormier
om...

TU wrote:
I bought a Renanthera mautiana (?) from a nursery last weekend. I
thought it was a species, but couldn't find any info on this plant on
the net. Could someone tell me if this is a species or a hybrid? Or if
the spelling is incorrect? TIA

TU

Renanthera monachica X 2 P Max Orchid Photos 0 14-12-2006 12:56 PM
Renanthera monachica bobc Orchids 2 17-02-2006 01:49 PM
Renanthera monachica help desperately needed Bacchae Orchids 15 14-03-2004 02:19 AM
Renanthera monachica root question Bacchae Orchids 6 05-12-2003 07:12 AM
Renanthera monachica root question Bacchae Orchids 0 03-12-2003 03:32 PM