Old 18-02-2005, 09:36 PM
Beena

Default Phal. Spike problems

Hello,
I am new to this hobby of raising orchids.... I am confused as to what
is happening ot my Phals.
Firstly, one that seemed to be healthy spike turned to a brownish color
on the top part of the spike.There was one perfect bloom left on the
spike, and when I came home after being out of town for two days the
flower had fallen of, however it was in perfect form and totally
fresh(It was sitting in my kitchen window which gets no direct
sunlight... it had been doing well in this spot until recently) I don't
know why it fell off.... then I noticed that the spike seemed strange.
I then cut it below the last healthy node. I noticed that the spike
that I had cut seemed hollow and a little discolored. I almost suspect
that I had underwatered it, as I am not paranoid that I may
accindentally overwater .I checked the plant and found no signs of rot
in the roots or crown . I did notice that on this paticular plant a few
weeks ago, there was a slight hint of a residue on the spike, dark
green and a tiny bit of white..... it didn't look too unusual, and it
was extremely slight. Don't know if this is related.
My second phal.that is in my orchidarium did something similar, the
spike almost apeared to be rotting and then got dry. I let it progress
to see what would happen, the discoloration/rot grew downwards .... it
started at the very end of the spike.
Just to give you an idea of the conditions of the orchidarium-I keep it
at about 60-70% humidity, good air movement using a fan and an air
purifier sucking fresh air in from the outside, day temp of approx 80,
nighttime 65 .My lighting may be a problem, I am using one flourescent
40w grow light, and another 40w regular plant light , they are both
about 24 inches above the orchids.... I held off on watering for nearly
a month because many of then had developed a bit of a root rot. I have
been misting them with a mixture of warm water and physan to try and
help prevent further rot .
I am sorry about the 5 paragraph question...... I am just new and
trying to learn and want to know if I am doing anything wrong.....
Any orchid experts out there, HELP !!!!!!!!!!
Thanks !!!!!
Beena in Los Angeles

to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 04:38 AM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 07:43 PM
Phal spike stop growing? boochap Orchids 2 30-12-2003 05:32 PM
Phal spike flexibility David Ward Orchids 2 10-08-2003 06:32 PM
Cutting Phal. spike White Monkey Orchids 3 27-07-2003 05:12 PM