GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Orchid genus name listings on the London Orchid Society website (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/90316-orchid-genus-name-listings-london-orchid-society-website.html)

Bob Betts 27-02-2005 10:04 PM

Orchid genus name listings on the London Orchid Society website

Last year I announced the genus names listings I have on our website
at
http://los.lon.imag.net/MiscFile.asp

I have now updated the listings.

There are five listings in total, three from Julian Shaw (the RHS
orchid registrar) and two that I have created over the years

Julian's listings were generated from the RHS orchid registration
database and include a listing for each of:
1) Natural genus names
2) Hybrid genus names
3) Hybrid genus natural genera components

These listings are from October 2004 with updates and corrections sent
to me by Julian up to February 22, 2005. In addition to the genus /
hybrid names and components, they include copious notes and references
to where the names were published.

My two listings are

1) Hybrid names by genus - contains tables (one for every natural
genus name used in hybrid names) with every combination of other
natural genus names and the resulting hybrid genus name and
abbreviation.

2) Genus names - is an amalgamation of all the names and components in
the three RHS tables plus many more genus names found in other
sources. It is designed as a guide for registration at our annual
orchid show so in addition to other data, it includes an indication of
what class or classes a plant of any given name can be entered in
(using the Mid-America Orchid Congress classifications).

The data in these two listings includes all the data available up to
and including February 25, 2005.

Enjoy!!