Old 03-03-2005, 04:14 AM
Alison

Default Dumb beginner question: cattleya cross blooming

Hi everyone,
I have a blc/pot cross which was supposed to reach blooming size 2 or
3 years ago. Back in May I posted about it because it seemed to be
growing another leaf out of the centre of one of the shoots. People
responded that sometimes an orchid that is not quite mature will start
a sheath & then abort it, & I have pretty much ignored the thing till
recently. It looked like a flat leaf, about as long as the main shoot
(about 7"). Through the fall this mutant "leaf" began to turn yellow,
then brown, & it has finally dried out & looked dead & papery. The
tip of it was starting to turn a bit black. It also puffed out
slightly & was full of air. Finally last night I peeled it open to
see what was going on, & lo & behold there is a teeny little curly
thing about half a cm long, right in the bottom of it that looks like
it might want to become a flower spike ... I've never had a catt bloom
before so I'm not sure what I'm looking at, but all this definitely
sounds like the thing is going to try to flower after all, from what I
read in my orchid guide about flower sheaths. So, forgive the dumb
questions, but what I'd like to know is,
Is it supposed to take that long for a flower spike to start, or is
this still a case of the not-quite-mature orchid needing extra time to
get it going?
Isn't the sheath supposed to be full of spike before it turns brown?
Have I screwed anything up by peeling it open so soon? I didn't pull
it off; it's still there, just not sealed on the edges anymore.
Should I be fertilizing still? I have Schultz all-purpose 10-15-10
liquid which I used to use, & Schultz orchid 19-31-17 powder which I
switched to when I finally found some on a trip away (you can't get
anything orchid related where I live). I've been using the orchid
powder, not very accurately measured but diluted.
The plant lives in an unshaded south window which I moved it to over
the summer.
Thanks for your help!

Alison
Old 03-03-2005, 03:36 PM
K Barrett

"Alison" wrote in message
om...
Is it supposed to take that long for a flower spike to start, or is
this still a case of the not-quite-mature orchid needing extra time to
get it going?

It can. Depending on the species that make up the hybrid some catts will
lay over a season until the day/night daylength gets right and then they
start ot develpoe the spike.

Isn't the sheath supposed to be full of spike before it turns brown?

Usually yes. Without knowing where you grow I'd speculate that you probably
have low humidity issues

Have I screwed anything up by peeling it open so soon?

No. IMHO you did the right thing. If you had left it, any water that would
condense inside the sheath would have rotted the developing buds. Fordyce
has told me to peel them open when you see this same sort of senescence.

Should I be fertilizing still?

Yes but be careful not to let the water stand in the sheathe where it will
rot the developing spike. Use anything, just at 1/2 strength.

That said, don't beat yourself up if it browns or rots. You have no control
over whatever happened to it before you opened the sheath, and now that the
sheath is open it may be too dry for it to continue. But you've given it
the best chance and at least you know the plant is willing to at least *try*
to flower for you under your conditions. Its adapted that far at least, so
congrats.
K Barrett

Old 04-03-2005, 12:05 AM
Dave Sheehy

K Barrett ) wrote:

: "Alison" wrote in message
: om...
: Is it supposed to take that long for a flower spike to start, or is
: this still a case of the not-quite-mature orchid needing extra time to
: get it going?

: It can. Depending on the species that make up the hybrid some catts will
: lay over a season until the day/night daylength gets right and then they
: start ot develpoe the spike.

A few of my catts are far more sadistic than that! One in particular spikes
in the September-ish time frame and then sits there for six months (and
counting) teasing me with the damn thing. It eventually blooms in the spring
when the weather warms up (the sheath is just now starting to swell). For six
months or more I get to worry on a daily basis that I or one of my family is
going bump the silly thing the wrong way and break the spike off. Yep, this
orchid has a very sadistic sense of humor, it surely does. Another catt,
that I got at Kawamoto's a year ago last summer is behaving the same way.

Yet another catt, that was a division a friend gave me, has developed
multiple spikes that have never bloomed (3 spikes and counting!). I've only
had it a couple of years so maybe it's still adapting to my environment.

Then again, there's one of Koch's catts that blooms several times a year and
never seems to go dormant.

: Isn't the sheath supposed to be full of spike before it turns brown?

: Usually yes. Without knowing where you grow I'd speculate that you probably
: have low humidity issues

I grow indoors where the humidity is low and I rarely have this problem. I'd
look into lighting or watering.

Dave

Old 04-03-2005, 10:21 AM
Dave Gillingham

Alison, when I was teaching I used to stress, as hard as I could:

"If you need to ask it, it's NOT a dumb question. But it might become
so, if you keep on asking the same question."

And my response to the smarties who s******ed when the question was
asked, was to remind them that they too had asked questions; and
though theirs may have *seemed* smarter than some others, it was all
relative, & simply a case of acquiring the knowledge - by asking
initially "dumb" questions.

Sorry about the sermon, but asking is step one to knowledge. Please
don't apologise for not knowing.

Old 06-03-2005, 03:13 AM
Alison

"K Barrett" wrote in message ...

Depending on the species that make up the hybrid some catts will
lay over a season until the day/night daylength gets right and then they
start ot develpoe the spike.

Well, I'm really glad I didn't try to pull the thing off when I
thought it was just some mutant dead leaf What day/night length is
supposed to be right for catts? Would it be helped or hindered by
having a tube light on over it for part of the evening through the
winter? (I guess it's fluorescent... it's your basic over-the-counter
tube light...)

Without knowing where you grow I'd speculate that you probably
have low humidity issues

New Brunswick... latitude 44ish... Average house humidity, I think, is
around 50%, & it can be quite hot & dry in that south window, but it's
also right above the kitchen sink. Maybe I should stick my hygrometer
in the window for a few days & check.
I won't tell it about Dave's catts; maybe it will be nicer to me
Thanks, all.

Alison
Old 06-03-2005, 04:14 PM
K Barrett

"Alison" wrote in message
om...
"K Barrett" wrote in message

Depending on the species that make up the hybrid some catts will
lay over a season until the day/night daylength gets right and then they
start ot develpoe the spike.

Well, I'm really glad I didn't try to pull the thing off when I
thought it was just some mutant dead leaf What day/night length is
supposed to be right for catts? Would it be helped or hindered by
having a tube light on over it for part of the evening through the
winter? (I guess it's fluorescent... it's your basic over-the-counter
tube light...)

Well, I'd stick with mimicing your area's day variation, but not drop below
12 hours a day. As summer comes on I'd increase to 14-16 per day, and as
winter comes around I'd drop back, but never going below 12 hours (the
day/night length at the equator). As to placement, I'd get a light meter,
and put the plant where the amount of light fell in the ranges specified for
the genus. You can get several books that have the general recommendations.
I like Ortho's 'All About Growing Orchids'. Its cheap and readily
available. Recalling from memory, catts fall in the 1500 - 2500 ft-candle
range. BUT! without getting into advanced biology, some plants adapt and do
OK with more, some with less, depending on what you are growing. Since
yours is wanting to flower for you, I'd say you are close to the light range
it wants.

Without knowing where you grow I'd speculate that you probably
have low humidity issues

New Brunswick... latitude 44ish... Average house humidity, I think, is
around 50%, & it can be quite hot & dry in that south window, but it's
also right above the kitchen sink. Maybe I should stick my hygrometer
in the window for a few days & check.
I won't tell it about Dave's catts; maybe it will be nicer to me

IMHO, 50% is fine for catts. Especially above the kitchen sink. And you
*should* tell it about Dave's catts. They can be quite competitive and want
to show Dave's up.

K Barrett

Cattleya cross Wendy7 Garden Photos 2 09-10-2009 12:38 PM
Cattleya cross Wendy7 Orchid Photos 0 11-07-2009 03:29 PM
Dumb beginner question/cattleya cross blooming: follow-up Alison Orchids 5 14-04-2005 08:51 PM
Dumb beginner question: cattleya cross blooming Alison Orchids 0 03-03-2005 04:14 AM
Cattleya blooming question Sarah Huff Orchids 5 16-10-2003 03:12 PM