Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Lady birds and scale

Ok, the *$^!# boisduval scale are driving me insane. And they are
totally resistant to most chemical pesticides. My profuse 'thanks' to
certain very large growers who have done that selection for me. Yes, I
could escalate the battle with more powerful weaponry, but I'm starting
to debate the merits of an all out nuclear arms race in my greenhouse.
Besides, cockroaches and scale will probably form the basis of the next
civilization, after we nuke this one.

Anyway, I know what I would do for a small collection, but I have
several thousand plants now. And the problem isn't really that bad, so
far, just a few select plants (some clones are more tasty than others,
it seems) - of course I haven't quite figured out which plants are the
tastiest yet.

So, I'm thinking about a more IPM (integrated pest management) approach.
Some little frogs (of course), and predatory insects. I just want to
knock them back enough that i can spot treat the occasional plant with
alcohol or soap. I have room to establish a little ecosystem.

To the actual question: What predator would be best for scale (haven't
seen any armored scale yet, but they are probably coming), mealy bugs,
and the occasional aphid or two? I was thinking lady bird beetles. I
could go with a combination approach. Does anybody have a favorite
source of beneficial critters? Any favorite IPM web sites for more
information? And where o where can I find some cute little tree frogs?
Oooh, maybe poison arrow frogs would kill scale on contact...

Have fun

Rob
2a) See rule 1
orchids, obtain more credit

LittlefrogFarm - Growing the plants Rob likes. )