Old 12-03-2005, 10:53 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Phals in Aliflor

Hi, Gang,

We currently grow our Phals either in spag or mounted. What would you think
about Aliflor for Phals? It seems like a solution to the occasional root rot
(though I really don't over water). In my warm south FL conditions, how
often would one water a Phal in Aliflor? I use it for many other orchids,
often mixed with other media, with great results.

Of course, S/H is another option. Just wondering if anyone has tried
straight potting with fired clay medium for Phals.

I await the opinion of the sages. TIA.

Diana

Old 12-03-2005, 11:50 PM
Ray

In your climate, and with enough watering, I would speculate that LECA in
plastic pots would be OK. Clay pots would probably dry out a bit too fast.

nk.net...

Old 13-03-2005, 01:57 AM
Kenni Judd

Diana: Aliflor holds very little water. I think you'd be watering your
Phals almost daily, during the hot months.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 13-03-2005, 02:35 AM
Al

What is S/H?

I grow many of my biggest and favorite Phals in clay pots filled with pea
gravel. They do very well; forming multiple crowns and tend to keep the
roots in the pots. It is actually my favorite Phal potting method. Two
drawbacks: very heavy. Sometimes I plant in a layer of packing peanuts and
a 'top dressing' of pea gravel. Yes, I do have to water them a lot more
often, but I water my mounted plants everyday anyway.

Aliflor is those round clay-like balls, right? I suspect it would work just
like pea gravel, except, I don't think pea gravel will absorb mineral salts/

Old 13-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Ray

Al,

Go to my website and click on the "Semi-Hydroponics" link. Think of an
inert medium with a constant supply of nutrient solution.

LECA will work better than pea gravel because the particles WILL absorb
moisture and wick it evenly throughout the medium. Sure, there's a
possibility of mineral buildup, but if you water things correctly, that's
really not an issue. I have a Paph rothschildianum hybrid that has been in
the same medium for over 5 years now, and I see minimal, if any buildup on
the medium.

Among LECAs, there's a wide variety of properties, so don't think they're
all the same. Aliflor didn't work for me, but I know several growers in
south Florida who think it's OK, as they water almost daily.

Well, I'm off to the Central Pennsylvania OS to speak precisely about this
subject. Catch you all when I return Monday evening.

Old 13-03-2005, 06:40 PM
schusteroni

I grow phals in South Florida using lava rock in the S/H method. They
absolutely love it!

Old 13-03-2005, 11:15 PM
Diana Kulaga

Thanks, all. I am getting tired of spag for Phals, especially the smaller
ones, tho' that may sound a** backwards. But, it's the little guys that tend
to get root rot, at least for me. I grow virtually all my plants in plastic,
using clay pots for stability where needed.

Thanks for all the input. We're going to experiment - a controlled
experiment, to see what works best.

Diana

Old 14-03-2005, 04:38 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 23:15:14 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Thanks, all. I am getting tired of spag for Phals, especially the smaller
ones, tho' that may sound a** backwards. But, it's the little guys that tend
to get root rot, at least for me. I grow virtually all my plants in plastic,
using clay pots for stability where needed.

Thanks for all the input. We're going to experiment - a controlled
experiment, to see what works best.

Diana

The only trouble I have ever had with Lava Rock is the sharp
edges some of it gets when cracked. Just like glass. I can not
handle the stuff.
SuE
Old 14-03-2005, 05:39 PM
jadel

wrote:

Thanks, all. I am getting tired of spag for Phals, especially the

smaller
ones, tho' that may sound a** backwards. But, it's the little guys

that tend
to get root rot, at least for me. I grow virtually all my plants in

plastic,
using clay pots for stability where needed.

Thanks for all the input. We're going to experiment - a controlled
experiment, to see what works best.

Diana

The only trouble I have ever had with Lava Rock is the sharp
edges some of it gets when cracked. Just like glass. I can not
handle the stuff.

Wear gloves. All rose growers know that goatskin ones are toughest. I
have three pairs, one of them about to give up the ghost, but it lasted
for several years.

I wear gloves when handling lava rock. I also wear them when handling
my growing collection of cycads--some are pricklier than roses, and
given the toxicity of all parts of all cycads, gloves are very good
idea.

(Yeah, I know, some people eat cycad starch, but not without
considerable risk.
See Whitelock's --The Cycads-- for the grisly details)

J. Del Col

Old 30-04-2005, 05:42 AM
Robert Dickow

I hate Aliflor. Tip a plant and the darn stuff goes rolling all over the
place like a spilled bag of marbles.

I grow Phals in straight unadulterated bark. Medium grade. Works like a
charm.

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in

Old 30-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Ray

Aliflor is fine if you're willing to water a lot. If you cannot do that, -
or just don't want to - but want the advantages of a non-decomposing medium,
you might consider semi-hydroponics, but with a different brand of LECA.
Aliflor is not the best for S/H, due in large part to its spherical shape.

"Robert Dickow" wrote in message
I hate Aliflor. Tip a plant and the darn stuff goes rolling all over the
place like a spilled bag of marbles.

I grow Phals in straight unadulterated bark. Medium grade. Works like a
charm.

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in
nk.net:

Hi, Gang,

We currently grow our Phals either in spag or mounted. What would you
think about Aliflor for Phals?

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old 02-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Rob Halgren

Ray wrote:
Aliflor is fine if you're willing to water a lot. If you cannot do that, -
or just don't want to - but want the advantages of a non-decomposing medium,
you might consider semi-hydroponics, but with a different brand of LECA.
Aliflor is not the best for S/H, due in large part to its spherical shape.

Although I have debated the merits of taking a bag of it and running
over it with the truck a few times. That might result in a better mix
of round and not round shapes... Or break an axle.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 02-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Reka

Rob Halgren schrieb:
Ray wrote:

Aliflor is fine if you're willing to water a lot. If you cannot do
that, - or just don't want to - but want the advantages of a
non-decomposing medium, you might consider semi-hydroponics, but with
a different brand of LECA. Aliflor is not the best for S/H, due in
large part to its spherical shape.

Although I have debated the merits of taking a bag of it and running
over it with the truck a few times. That might result in a better mix
of round and not round shapes... Or break an axle.

Rob

Hey, Rob, you got a FIAT too??!! ;-)

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html
Old 03-05-2005, 04:00 AM
Dave Sheehy

Ray ) wrote:
: Aliflor is fine if you're willing to water a lot. If you cannot do that, -
: or just don't want to - but want the advantages of a non-decomposing medium,
: you might consider semi-hydroponics, but with a different brand of LECA.
: Aliflor is not the best for S/H, due in large part to its spherical shape.

The last time I repotted my indoor Vandas I used Aliflor instead of lava
rock or large bark as I've done before. In the past my Vandas have always
developed numerous aerial roots but they didn't this time. After growing
a bit concerned I poured the Aliflor out of the pot in order to investigate
and was shocked to find quite vigorous root growth throughout the pot.

Dave

temperature tolerance for phals dada Orchids 4 14-09-2003 09:02 PM
Someone tell the phals it's not fall! Gene Schurg Orchids 4 22-06-2003 11:08 PM
Yellowing leaves on phals rick Orchids 5 23-03-2003 04:08 AM
Sulking phals Ted Byers Orchids 5 21-03-2003 03:56 PM
mini phals rajiv Orchids 18 18-02-2003 03:39 AM