Old 01-04-2005, 02:18 AM
Mick Fournier

Default Cattleya schoderae var citrina... they bloom for Easter

If you are a wishy washy newbie just poking around in RGO trying to decide
if you want to get involved in orchids or not, take my advice... stop now
and go look for a more exciting worthwhile hobby. There are much more
interesting things to do in life than raising orchids. Orchids will turn
you into a slave. Believe me. Go back... click out of this news group and
count yourself lucky.

The rest of you'se guys... (and if you hate hybrids as much as I do) then
click on this:
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...raecitrina.jpg

Yeeee-ha

Mick
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com

Old 02-04-2005, 12:03 AM
Diana Kulaga

Good advice to the newbies, Mick. But then, you showed them that magnificent
Catt, you devil, you!

Diana

Old 02-04-2005, 01:24 AM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:18:29 -0500, "Mick Fournier"
wrote:

If you are a wishy washy newbie just poking around in RGO trying to decide
if you want to get involved in orchids or not, take my advice... stop now
and go look for a more exciting worthwhile hobby. There are much more
interesting things to do in life than raising orchids. Orchids will turn
you into a slave. Believe me. Go back... click out of this news group and
count yourself lucky.

The rest of you'se guys... (and if you hate hybrids as much as I do) then
click on this:
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...raecitrina.jpg

Yeeee-ha

Mick
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com

Ya, and that is going to slow anyone down. Only if it causes
heart failure. Good to hear from you. What is new in flask
land?

SuE
Old 02-04-2005, 01:40 AM
Mick Fournier

Diana,

They weren't suppose to look.

Mick

Old 02-04-2005, 01:43 AM
Mick Fournier

Danny,

I have a DSL connection... I just claim I have a dial-up when some goof butt
uploads a graphic on RGO.

Mick

Old 02-04-2005, 02:08 AM
Mick Fournier

Sue,

I can't keep the Cattleya violacea var semi alba (Icabaru x Hector Luis)
flasks on the shelf... they are hot. The Taiwanese and Europeans buy them
as fast as I can replate them up. Look at this red nose... click on:
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...ea_icabaru.jpg

The Cattleya lawrenceana var coerulea Aulisi in flask are selling great.
South Americans are demanding them, surprisingly.

I have 44 customers on the waiting list for 10-plant hobby flasks of ghost
orchids, but same problem there too. The Chinese and far east growers are
buying the bigger 50 and 100 plants before I can even break them down into
smaller bottles.

I like seeing the Euro so strong against the dollar. Sales of flasks are
good to "old" Europa, with the exception of the UK... cheap ass brits never
buy anything. They ask for a lot of quotes/questions though.

I have had it with Canadians and stopped shipping anything to Canada. I am
half Canadian and I have rescinded this ban three times in the last three
years, but this is it... I mean it now, I will never ship flasks to
Canadians again.

I just crossed this C schroderae with another citrina so maybe next year I
will offer this one too in flask... the fragrance is outstanding.

HBI is trying to get the C percivaliana var coerulea back in the catalog
with hobby flasks... but like George Bush says, "Ittttt'ssss hard, it's hard
work".

That's the news.

Mick

===================

Old 03-04-2005, 09:44 PM
keith ;-\)

Shipping/hassle is too much to bother with for seedlings especially for a
hobby grower.Probably worth the cost/hassle if they were
to be grown on and sold.I thought you hated hybrids,you seem to have a few
to sell!
--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 03-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Diana Kulaga

Oh! That violacea! I'm in love again. I know. Fickle, fickle.

DK

Old 04-04-2005, 05:30 AM
Mick Fournier

Keith,

There is still a few hybrids left in the catalog... there used to be 60
different hybrid selections, but not now. Once these last few remaining
ones are gone I will be rid of hybrids altogether. I have not made a new
hybrid cross in 4 years actually.

Mick

Old 04-04-2005, 09:02 PM
keith ;-\)

Good for you Mick I also love my species,but don't hate hybrids as long as
they have a name.I don't go for NOIDS !I have a few from my first orchids I
got but you learn & progress as the little suckers draw you in!!
PS no need for a dig at us brits!

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 04-04-2005, 09:58 PM
Rob Halgren

keith ;-) wrote:
Good for you Mick I also love my species,but don't hate hybrids as long as
they have a name.I don't go for NOIDS !I have a few from my first orchids I
got but you learn & progress as the little suckers draw you in!!
PS no need for a dig at us brits!

But of course those line bred species cattleyas are about as close to
the 'original species' as any hybrid. *grin* After a dozen generations
in captivity they probably wouldn't survive 10 minutes in the native
habitat.

Just poking a stick into the hornet nest...

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 05-04-2005, 01:10 AM
Mick Fournier

Rob,

I beg your pardon... did you really just say (or insinuate) on this public
forum in front of thousands of viewers/my_customers that the Cattleya
species I sell on my website are not species and as far from being a species
as any hybrid?

Just say yes or no.

Mick

=============================

Old 05-04-2005, 03:26 AM
Pat Brennan

It would really suck to find out you hated species as much as you hate
hybrids. oh well

. ..

Old 05-04-2005, 04:43 AM
Mick Fournier

Pat,

My whole business is devoted to preserving and perpetuating the absolute
best of species. Cattleya species are especially important to me... it is
hard for me for to adequately express just how upset I am at this moment.

I am waiting patiently right here for Rob Halgren to respond to my question.

Mick