Old 01-04-2005, 04:29 PM
Kipper

Default New Poster with an orchid question

Since I am new to the world of orchids, I have a question I hope someone can
answer for me. I have an orchid, a Phal I think that needs to be repotted.
What is the best potting mixture to get and the best way to do it. The
little orchid has outgrown it's very small pot. It has bloomed beautifully
for several years now, but I need to repot it. Thanks for your help.
Karen

Old 01-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Ray

Karen,

There is no single potting medium that is right for everyone, due to
differences in growing conditions and watering/feeding habits among growers.
Be wary of anyone telling you that "this way" is the ONLY way to go.

Likewise, there may be several different media formulations and culture
methods that might work great for you.

The fact that you have successfully rebloomed the plant for several years
suggests that you're doing a fine job with the medium it is in, so why not
consider just moving it into a larger pot of the same?

Personally, I am a big proponent of semi-hydroponics (inert media with a
constant reservoir of nutrient solution), but I will be the last to tell you
it's the only way to grow.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Kipper

"Ray" wrote in message
Karen,

There is no single potting medium that is right for everyone, due to
differences in growing conditions and watering/feeding habits among
growers. Be wary of anyone telling you that "this way" is the ONLY way to
go.

Likewise, there may be several different media formulations and culture
methods that might work great for you.

The fact that you have successfully rebloomed the plant for several years
suggests that you're doing a fine job with the medium it is in, so why not
consider just moving it into a larger pot of the same?

Personally, I am a big proponent of semi-hydroponics (inert media with a
constant reservoir of nutrient solution), but I will be the last to tell
you it's the only way to grow.

Thanks Ray, good advise.