Old 12-04-2005, 05:16 AM
Alison

Default Dumb beginner question/cattleya cross blooming: follow-up

It bloooooomed
I'm happy to report the indecisive Pot/Blc I inquired about at the
beginning of March, has opened one huge 5-inch gorgeous dark pink
flower with a little yellow striping in the throat. Some of you
veteran orchid growers may remember your delight with your first
plants' first flowers... I have been waiting 5 years for this one, and
this is funny -- it opened on the anniversary of the day I got it.
Do they usually make just one flower? Early on there was a bit of a
stub that looked like it might branch, but that dried up. Is this
again a case of it being a young plant? How long do the flowers last?
(My orchid books don't say.)
Of course I shot a bunch of pictures of it right away, & will probably
take more.
Thanks to those whose answers to my questions in March helped me be
patient...

Alison
Old 12-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Ray

Alison,

If you're lucky, that delight at seeing your plants bloom will never go
away. I've been at this over 30 years and I still get a thrill.

I would guess that your plant will likely display more blossoms as it
matures, but culture can play a significant role in that, as does genetics.
Blooming is an energy-consuming activity, so the stronger the plant, the
better the show it can put on.

Can you remind us of the cross?

Oh yeah... Please post pictures over at a.b.p.o

om...

Old 12-04-2005, 11:06 PM
Diana Kulaga

Congratulations, Alison! Ray is correct: the thrill is never gone. A.B.P.O
is our binaries group; it stands for alt.binaries.pictures.orchids, and we
want to see your darling!

Diana

Old 14-04-2005, 06:24 AM
profpam

Allison,

Congratulations on your first bloom. Five years seems a long, long time
to wait for a plant to bloom; however, when it finally does the feeling
is so rewarding.

In answer to your question --

Do they usually make just one flower?

First blooms are usually few; however, next year with the right culture you may be rewarded with three to seven or more flowers.

Incidentally, do you have a name for your Pot. x Blc. ?

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 14-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Alison

I didn't know about A.B.P.O. -- I will check it out. I didn't think
we could post pix... I have quite a few pix of my other babies, &
since I have some close-up lenses that let me fill the frame with just
the heart of flowers, or selected bits with very little depth of
field, I shoot a lot of abstract/closeup flower photos.
It will be quite a while before I get pix back, since I am not
digital, live in the middle of nowhere, & save up my films in the
fridge for a (lonnngg) trip to town (mailing them at Canada Post's
rates is silly...) but I will try to scan & post one if they are good.
The cross is Pot. Hisako Akatsuka "Volcano Queen" x Blc. Jeremy Island
"Carmela". I was pretty pleased with the "big" flower, since the
whole plant, pot & all, is less than a foot high

Alison

Cattleya cross Wendy7 Garden Photos 2 09-10-2009 12:38 PM
Cattleya cross Wendy7 Orchid Photos 0 11-07-2009 03:29 PM
Dumb beginner question: cattleya cross blooming Alison Orchids 6 06-03-2005 04:14 PM
Dumb beginner question: cattleya cross blooming Alison Orchids 0 03-03-2005 04:14 AM
Cattleya blooming question Sarah Huff Orchids 5 16-10-2003 03:12 PM