Old 16-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Mick Fournier

Default Paraphalaenopsis labukensis

I carry all 4 of the Paraphalaenopsis species in flask, but I think the
Paraphal labukensis is my favorite of the four. I like that deep rich
mahogany color the flowers produce.

Here are a couple of shots of first generation (out of HBI flasks)
labukensis blooming now (in Florida).
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...aralabu05a.jpg
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...aralabu03a.jpg

Mick
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com

Old 16-04-2005, 10:22 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:56:54 -0400, "Mick Fournier"
wrote:

I carry all 4 of the Paraphalaenopsis species in flask, but I think the
Paraphal labukensis is my favorite of the four. I like that deep rich
mahogany color the flowers produce.

Here are a couple of shots of first generation (out of HBI flasks)
labukensis blooming now (in Florida).
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...aralabu05a.jpg
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...aralabu03a.jpg

Mick
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com

Ok Mick - How big are these babies full grown?
Those flowers are to die for.
SuE
Old 16-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Diana Kulaga

wrote:

I carry all 4 of the Paraphalaenopsis species in flask, but I think the
Paraphal labukensis is my favorite of the four. I like that deep rich
mahogany color the flowers produce.

Here are a couple of shots of first generation (out of HBI flasks)
labukensis blooming now (in Florida).
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...aralabu05a.jpg
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...aralabu03a.jpg

Mick
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com

Ok Mick - How big are these babies full grown?
Those flowers are to die for.
SuE

Sure wish you sold them post flask, Mick. I can't handle a flask, but boy,
would I love to have one of those babies. And I love the growth habit of
Paraphals.

Diana

Old 17-04-2005, 12:29 AM
Mick Fournier

Susan,

The canes (terete leaves) are only 3 feet long on this one. This was the
first flowering 4 years out of flask. I think it is easy to get leaves on
the labukensis that would be 5 feet long. I find it amazing that such a
gangly plant can produce such nice flowers. What surprised me this morning
with this plant was that I detected a faint fragrance from it around lunch
time... it smelled like a dentist office.

Mick

=====================

Old 17-04-2005, 12:36 AM
Mick Fournier

Diana,

Maybe some day I will sell post flask but it will have be after I am
finished with my real job.

Mick

======================

k.net...

Old 17-04-2005, 01:24 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 19:29:24 -0400, "Mick Fournier"
wrote:

Susan,

The canes (terete leaves) are only 3 feet long on this one. This was the
first flowering 4 years out of flask. I think it is easy to get leaves on
the labukensis that would be 5 feet long. I find it amazing that such a
gangly plant can produce such nice flowers. What surprised me this morning
with this plant was that I detected a faint fragrance from it around lunch
time... it smelled like a dentist office.

Mick

=====================

Yuck.
I am afraid I don't have the location for any plant that hangs
from 3 to 5 '. I too think these babies are great.

SuE
Old 17-04-2005, 02:17 AM
Ray

Sue,

I have a mature Paraphal labukensis that is about 30" in leaf length -
remember, they are pendent, terete leaved creatures.

Old 17-04-2005, 05:23 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:17:02 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

Sue,

I have a mature Paraphal labukensis that is about 30" in leaf length -
remember, they are pendent, terete leaved creatures.

Yes,
But one still has to have a clear space with a vertical drop zone
of 30+ inches free of obstructions.

In my gh that is called the alleyway. I already have a bulbo
hanging at nose level because it wants to be out of the sun.
So it hangs from an Ascda basket.

Space - I need space.
SuE
Old 17-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Al

I just went out and measured the labukensis; 38 inches this year. It has
just finished blooming.

Old 17-04-2005, 01:41 PM
Ray

What's your point? I have lots of plants and dangling vanda roots in the
aisles. Isn't an orchid greenhouse supposed to be that way?

Old 22-04-2005, 03:01 AM
Eric Hunt

Ray,

A lot of growers I know won't do this - they also won't hang any plants
above other plants because of fear of virus spreading from dripping water.

But I also know just as many growers who have greenhouses that are overgrown
jungles. =) Your mileage may vary.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org