GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Posting photos on a.p.b.o. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/92566-posting-photos-p-b-o.html)

Alison 17-04-2005 06:38 AM

Posting photos on a.p.b.o.

I was going to try posting photos on a.p.b.o., & after ages of first
trying to find it & then messing around with "Usenet Replayer", I
finally found the page that lets you send a message. Then, I hunted
through RGO for guidelines for photo posting, & found that the
pictures should be jpegs or gifs. My scanner is on an old computer
which doesn't allow the option of saving either type, so I usually
e-mail photos to friends as Windows bitmaps. So, I scanned them,
saved them, & then converted them in "Paint" to jpegs on the other
computer. When I scanned them I made the picture sizes similar to
those I saw on a.p.b.o., & they were generally 60-80K ... but then
when I converted them to jpeg on the other computer, they have all
come up at 6 or 7 KB. I have tried e-mailing them to myself & it
seems to work, but one of my e-mail addresses doesn't seem to be
working either, & Yahoo keeps asking me to verify that I am not a
spammer...!
It is 2 a.m. & maybe I'm just not doing this right due to being very
tired & also distracted by the cat who wants me to shut off the
computer & go to bed... but before crapping up on a.p.b.o., I thought
I'd better ask... can I send them at that size? Can I send them as
bitmaps? Assuming I can get it to work, how many pictures is it
appropriate to post at once? I found a dozen that were good but
didn't want to clutter up the group if there was a limit.
I'll figure it out after a while.... :P

Alison
(NOT a computer whiz)

Kye 17-04-2005 09:25 AM

Alison,

Send away. If anyone gives you grief, tell em that Kye said it was ok. As
long as your pics are no larger than about 150K you will be fine. As far as
I am concerned .bmp (bitmaps) are just fine and are probably even more
easily read for some out there than jpegs.

Well done on your research and I applaud you requesting assistance before
you made an error. I only wish that many ppl were half as diligent as you
are.

Kye.

PS - If your wondering why I suggest to tell them that I said it was ok, its
because I made a.b.p.orchids.

. ..

danny 17-04-2005 03:18 PM

Did you make the bitmap files 60-80K? If so that was probably a mistake.
Make the bitmap file the correct size in pixels (we generally keep our
pictures no more than 800x600 pixels, sometimes a little more or less). The
file in bitmap format will be much larger than 80K. Then convert that file
to jpeg. The size will shrink dramatically. Jpeg uses compression to
decrease the file size (the amount of compression can be selected in many
programs, if your program doesn't give you that option don't worry about
it). The 7kb pictures are probably really small, but you can try posting
one on a.b.p.o. and see what happens. Once you get it figured out, I would
post a few at a time. There is nothing wrong with posting a dozen pictures
at once but if that is all the pictures you have, spreading them out will
probably increase your chances of getting comments on each individual
picture and increase the length of time you are interacting with the group.
-danny

. ..

Diana Kulaga 17-04-2005 09:47 PM

Hi, Alison,

I'm not the tech head that Danny and Kye are, but I do remember that posting
bmp files doesn't work too well. If they are large enough to be seen
correctly, then the files are way too big for abpo viewers.

I think most of us post using jpeg, 800x600 pix as Danny said.

You mentioned a scanner. Are you using a digital camera? If not, you can
have your photos developed and returned on a disk. There will be software,
so you can play around with them more easily.

Forgive me if you already know this; just trying to help. Always want more
photos over at abpo!

Diana

Alison 26-04-2005 02:45 AM

Ok, I tried... I re-scanned a photo, re-saved it as a jpeg & got one
of 33KB which sounded better. When I finally figured out how to sign
up for Usenet Replayer (my e-mail was deleting the confirmation
message as bulk/spam), I went through the "send message" thing, got
this page: http://www.usenet-replayer.com/cgi/content/sendmessage , &
entered the file name in the box for attachments. I clicked the
thing that says "you have copyright permission to publish this", &
clicked send. It told me the message part was too long, so I went
back & deleted that, attached the photo again, & clicked send.
Then it turns out that there was no photo in the message I sent.
!????
AND, I messed up by putting inappropriate quotes in the name.
Apologies for both.

Alison

Ray 26-04-2005 10:58 AM

Alison,

What news reader are you using to read the messages here, and through what
service? You ought to be able to post to a.b.p.o without resorting to
usenet replayer.

om...

dusty 26-04-2005 06:48 PM

(Alison) wrote in
om:

Ok, I tried... I re-scanned a photo, re-saved it as a jpeg & got one
of 33KB which sounded better. When I finally figured out how to sign
up for Usenet Replayer (my e-mail was deleting the confirmation
message as bulk/spam), I went through the "send message" thing, got
this page:
http://www.usenet-replayer.com/cgi/content/sendmessage , &
entered the file name in the box for attachments. I clicked the
thing that says "you have copyright permission to publish this", &
clicked send. It told me the message part was too long, so I went
back & deleted that, attached the photo again, & clicked send.
Then it turns out that there was no photo in the message I sent.
!????
AND, I messed up by putting inappropriate quotes in the name.
Apologies for both.

Alison

????????????????
What news reader & service are you useing?
Here are some suggestions and the good part they are free and almost free.

An easy to use news reader
http://xnews.newsguy.com/

almost trouble free news service beter than MSN, Eartlink,or SBC
(they loose hard drives and servers every now an then)

http://www.teranews.com/
3.95 set up fee
free 50 meg download

never had any problems with uploading pictures no matter what the size.

Hope this helps

Grow well and bloom magnificently
Dusty

Alison 27-04-2005 01:26 AM

"Ray" wrote in message ...
Alison,

What news reader are you using to read the messages here, and through what
service? You ought to be able to post to a.b.p.o without resorting to
usenet replayer.

I'm just using Google groups... I wonder if the antivirus program on
this computer was part of the problem. I can't send pix in my Yahoo
mail without shutting it down first. I can't remember if it was on
when I tried posting that photo, but I think it was. I could try
again with it off if people won't be too annoyed at another blank post
if it doesn't work.
Hmmm.....

Alison

Alison 28-04-2005 08:20 PM

--

It's called Aliant. It's Canadian. And I probably could get apbo
through them but my dad, whose computer the has the internet

Alison

Steve 29-04-2005 10:02 PM

Alison wrote:
.........................my dad, whose computer the has the internet
connection, wishes to keep his e-mail private & not send it out into
the wide world to collect spam... :) which is why I was using my
Yahoo mail.

Alison

Very wise. Never use an email address on a newsgroup unless you are
willing to deal with a lot of spam to that address. It's always better
to use an address that is either fake or disposable.

Steve