GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Odontoglossum 'Janine' ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/92950-odontoglossum-janine.html)

Steve 24-04-2005 05:09 AM

Odontoglossum 'Janine' ?

I drove up to the Ottawa (Ontario, Canada) orchid show today. I saw a
lot of nice plants and got to meet Marilyn Light in person. I took some
pictures but not that many because the camera I had available doesn't
have storage for too many pictures even at the lower resolutions.

One plant that caught my eye (no picture available because the camera
was full before I got there) was a plant labeled only as Odontoglossum
'Janine'. I think the plant even won some sort of AOS award with that
name. I got around to the side of the display and looked for other tags.
Nothing. I asked someone and they said they thought Janine was actually
the grex name and shouldn't be in single quotes like that. (Wildcatt
doesn't list any Odontoglossum Janine.)

The plant had multiple spikes and hundreds (at least) of little flowers.
A real cloud of dark reddish flowers no bigger than my thumb nail.
Anybody have a clue what this was? I suppose if it really won an AOS
award (I'm thinking cultural) it will be listed somewhere and maybe with
a name that makes sense.

Steve

Reka 24-04-2005 08:40 AM

Steve schrieb:

The plant had multiple spikes and hundreds (at least) of little flowers.
A real cloud of dark reddish flowers no bigger than my thumb nail.
Anybody have a clue what this was? I suppose if it really won an AOS
award (I'm thinking cultural) it will be listed somewhere and maybe with
a name that makes sense.

Steve

There is a Tolumnia Janine, what did the leaves look like?

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

Steve 25-04-2005 05:36 PM

Reka wrote:
Steve schrieb:

The plant had multiple spikes and hundreds (at least) of little
flowers. A real cloud of dark reddish flowers no bigger than my thumb
nail. Anybody have a clue what this was? I suppose if it really won an
AOS award (I'm thinking cultural) it will be listed somewhere and
maybe with a name that makes sense.

Steve

There is a Tolumnia Janine, what did the leaves look like?

One thing that surprised me at that show was how many Tolumnias there
were. There were probably more in the sales area than in the actual
show, too. Every one was still labeled as an Oncidium though.

Back to Odontoglossum 'Janine'........ it had leaves and pseudobulbs
like an Odontoglossum, which is about the same as saying it was like a
common Oncidium such as Gower Ramsey, etc.

Steve