Old 01-05-2005, 09:01 PM
mmccaws2

Default Phals: stem propagation

I saw a note on one site that a phalenopsis was 'stem propagated'.
I'm not familiar with that type of propagation. I was wondering if
anyone in the northwest gives workshops on it or even does it.

Thanks
Mike

Old 01-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Kenni Judd

There MUST be phals growers either local to you or who post here who could
give you more detail. The extremely simplified version is: Phals sometimes
make keikis on their flower stems. This can be encouraged with the proper
application of certain chemicals. A keiki or "stem prop" is genetically
identical to the mother plant, and can therefore carry any applicable
awards. Although mericlones are also supposed to be genetically identical,
the cloning process still entails some small risk of mutation. So stem
props are more reliably identical. For that reason, and also because the
volume which can be produced by stem propagation is _far_ more limited [a
handful compared to thousands], stem props are usually a lot more expensive
than clones.

Formulations of the chemicals used are available in small quantities for the
hobbyist under the brand names Keiki-Grow and Keiki-Root, and possibly
others.

Hope this helps,
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

oups.com...

Old 02-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Diana Kulaga

Mike,

Assuming you are talking about creating a new plant from your existing one,
as opposed to mass production, try this.

After the Phal has finished blooming, cut the spike (with a sterilized tool
or a fresh single edged razor blade) down to just above the third or fourth
node from the bottom. If you have a keiki booster type product, use it, or
something like Rootone. If you have neither, don't go nuts trying to find
something. This method *may* produce either a keiki or another round of
flowers. It you get a keike, wait until it has several roots before snapping
it off and potting it up.

Here's the caveat: flowering takes a lot of energy. If the plant looks in
any way stressed, don't try to make it produce more. Better to keep the
parent plant healthy than to stress it for more production. Recently, I cut
the spike (and all its flowers) off a favorite Phal that has been
experiencing problems. I don't want to lose the plant for the sake of this
years blooms!

Diana

Old 03-05-2005, 06:44 AM
Reka

Diana Kulaga schrieb:

After the Phal has finished blooming, cut the spike (with a sterilized tool
or a fresh single edged razor blade) down to just above the third or fourth
node from the bottom.

Try looking here for info on node cultu
http://www.orchideenvermehrung.at/english/index.htm
It should work on Phals.

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

Weird Stem - Weird Stem.JPG [01/01] Chris Savas Orchid Photos 0 20-09-2008 03:29 PM
Someone tell the phals it's not fall! Gene Schurg Orchids 4 22-06-2003 11:08 PM
Yellowing leaves on phals rick Orchids 5 23-03-2003 04:08 AM
Sulking phals Ted Byers Orchids 5 21-03-2003 03:56 PM
mini phals rajiv Orchids 18 18-02-2003 03:39 AM