Old 03-05-2005, 09:08 PM
wendy7

Default Equitants & Tolumnias

I had read a while back that species of equitant oncidiums were
named Tolumnias.
When did they make this rule for hybrids as well?
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 03-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Rob Halgren

wendy7 wrote:
I had read a while back that species of equitant oncidiums were
named Tolumnias.
When did they make this rule for hybrids as well?

I don't know that it is a rule, so much as convention. The
international orchid registrar (at the RHS) decides these kinds of
things. At least for the registration of hybrids. Not sure when they
accepted 'Tolumnia' for registration purposes, seems like it was within
the last five years or so, though.

There isn't any formal process for changing the name of a species - it
is kind of a 'throw it at the wall and hope it sticks' method. If
enough people think you are right, then they will use the name you use,
and eventually that becomes the 'right' name.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 03-05-2005, 11:01 PM
auntymo

that is of course until they change it again

--mo--

Old 03-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Al

http://www.wildcattdata.com/NewWeb/news.htm

Read that. The name changes to the oncidium group effect all the hybrids of
the species being changed. From this page you can download a list of all
effected hybrids. It is very rare for species name changes made by
taxonomists to be carried over into hybrids named while the species were
traveling under older names, but it does happen. This change by the
registrar of the RHS to the oncidiums is MAJOR. Thousands of hybrids
changed genera/nothogenera affiliation. They did not change *grex* names,
just genera affiliation. Your question was when did it happen. It looks
like sometime in the early to mid part of 2004

An equitant oncidium named Onc. Wendy is still named Wendy, but it is now
called Tolu. Wendy in the official record if her species level ancestors
were among those that were changed.

It is kind of nice that the Registrar is making an effort to keep the hybrid
record up to date with taxonomic changes. I don't think this change was
made lightly or without lots of evidence to help him conclude that it would
stay this way for quite a while and not revert back in a week, but who knows
what evil lurks in the hearts of orchid taxonomists and genetic
Cladisticians (I just made that word up)

Old 03-05-2005, 11:49 PM
wendy7

Thanks ever so much for this Al, at least changing all the equitants
makes it more consistant?

Old 03-05-2005, 11:54 PM
Al

They are very different in growth habit from "other" oncidiums, so yes, it
is much more consistent.

"wendy7" wrote in message
I had read a while back that species of equitant oncidiums were
named Tolumnias.
When did they make this rule for hybrids as well?
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

A Chain of Blooming Tolumnias Wendy7 Orchid Photos 1 04-05-2007 07:29 PM
deflasking Tolumnias Sandra Orchids 13 09-10-2006 10:40 AM
equitants tbell Orchids 2 08-02-2004 09:56 PM
equitants tbell Orchids 0 06-02-2004 06:19 AM
Watering equitants IiSpankyii Orchids 3 09-02-2003 08:55 PM