Old 04-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Toni

Default Care for delayed shipment of bare root plants

I am *hoping* to take delivery today of a shipment of orchids that was
shipped bare root 8 days ago and delayed in the mail.

In all probability they will be fine, but in the event that they are too dry
I want to be ready and waiting with the ICU set up and ready.
They are a general variety of hybrid Dendrobiums, Catts, and Vandas that are
all destined to be either naturalized in trees or put into wood baskets
outdoors.

I have several vats of rainwater ready to rehydrate them and thankfully my
humidity is really up there today- gotta be at least 90%.

My questions- how long is too long to soak these plants? I know that will
depend on the condition of the roots, but what is a maximum soak time?
Should I soak them foliage and all, or prop them so just the roots get a
good soaking? Would a good misting and hanging them be preferable?
Should I add a drop or two of Superthrive to the soak water? Something else?

Anything else I should do to ensure the best start for these little lost
plants?

Thanks as always...

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 04-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Niek Hanckmann

If you could find some fresh sphagnum-moss, it would really help them to
get started again. Sphagnum (especially fresh) stimulates rootgrowing.

greets, Niek
Old 04-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Toni

Thanks everyone for your help.
They've arrived and don't look bad at all.
Everyone can say what they will about these "rare and delicate flowers", but
they are dang easy and forgiving shippers.

Tree weeds I tell ya- tree weeds!

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 04-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Rob Halgren

Toni wrote:
Thanks everyone for your help.
They've arrived and don't look bad at all.
Everyone can say what they will about these "rare and delicate flowers", but
they are dang easy and forgiving shippers.

Tree weeds I tell ya- tree weeds!

Especially the types you bought. I was going to post a while ago and
say not to worry, but you seemed set on worrying and I didn't want to
spoil it *grin*.

Remember, a whole lot of orchids managed to survive shipping around the
world, packed in dark crates in the holds of leaky ships, back in the
18th and 19th century. The trip could take months... 8 days is a
modern luxury.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 04-05-2005, 11:33 PM
Ray

First of all, 8 days is not THAT big of a deal for most plants, unless they
are small or sickly in the fist place.

That said, whenever I get in bare-root plants, I add the following to a
gallon of 80°F water:

1 teaspoon SuperThrive or K-L-N rooting hormone
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon soluble trace element mixture (STEM)

The I completely immerse the plants for 4 to 6 hours.

Rinse briefly, pot them up, care for them normally, and away they go!