Old 04-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Al

Default The price of heating a greenhouse....

I was just wondering what type of fuel people are using in their greenhouses
and what the cost per unit is where ever you are...

I'll start
Last summer I locked in a price cap rate of $1.499 per gallon of fuel oil.
Most of the winter it was delivered at a cost of $1.479 per gallon but in
February it went to the cap rate and stayed there.

I just received a notice that I can lock in a rate of $1.949 per gallon
through April 0f 2006 if I act quickly.

Are heating oil prices this high everywhere?

I am not going to admit how many gallons I use a winter, so if you ask I
will pretend I didn't see.

Old 05-05-2005, 02:35 AM
Mick Fournier

Al,

If each bad adware/spyware blocked in Spybot 1.3 were a gallon (through
today's update)... would that equal the number of gallons you use a year?

I will bet I am pretty dam close Tonto.

Mick

Old 05-05-2005, 03:33 AM
halgren

Al wrote:
I was just wondering what type of fuel people are using in their greenhouses
and what the cost per unit is where ever you are...

I'll start
Last summer I locked in a price cap rate of $1.499 per gallon of fuel oil.
Most of the winter it was delivered at a cost of $1.479 per gallon but in
February it went to the cap rate and stayed there.

I just received a notice that I can lock in a rate of $1.949 per gallon
through April 0f 2006 if I act quickly.

Are heating oil prices this high everywhere?

My oil price was 1.84 when I filled the tank for the house in February.
I don't have a contract price, though... No idea where it is now, I
suspect it is at least 2.00 a gallon. I wouldn't be surprized if it is
more. I'll wait until July or so to fill it, maybe it will be cheaper.

I am not going to admit how many gallons I use a winter, so if you ask I
will pretend I didn't see.

I heat the greenhouse with propane... And it is expensive, too (1.79?).
I feel your pain, and I try not to think about how much gas I used
this winter...

Who needs cold fusion? I'll take hot fusion for the greenhouse...

Rob
Old 05-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Ray

I pay about $0.40 more for propane than does Rob to heat my GH, but about
$0.45 less for oil for my home heating and hot water.

Irrespective of the fuel cost, the choice of heater makes a BIG difference.
When I replaced my Modine "high efficiency" heater (old design with vertical
heat exchanger) with a Reznor (like the Modine "Hot Dawg" but with separated
combustion), my fuel consumption dropped like a rock, and I paid for the new
heater in less than two seasons based on that savings. Even with the fuel
cost being almost double what it was when I bought the heater, my annual
expenditure on propane is still lower.

Old 08-05-2005, 01:22 AM
Gene Schurg

Al,

Of course you got to use what is available to your location, I got the
notice today that my natural gas rate starting in May will be $1.015 up from
$0.745 last year. So it will cost me about 35% more to heat the house and
greenhouse next year if the weather stays the same.

Now I wish I had the geothermal heating system that I was reading about.

Good Growing,
Gene