GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Nepenthes ID (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/93951-nepenthes-id.html)

[email protected] 12-05-2005 09:25 AM

Nepenthes ID

Hi - I have a baby nepenthes growing in the kitchen window - it seems
happy enough, watering with tap water, and, it being the UK and a
kitchen rather than a greenhouse, temperature and humidity are not
particularly high. I water weekly, mist twice daily, and it seems to be
OK in it's pahleonopsys (sp?) mix medium (bark, charcoal, perlite).
Problem is, I'm not sure how to ID the plant. Any pointers? From what
I've read, it's more than likely a lowland type, since it seems to be
less fussy than some neps I'm reading about. Other than that, I'm not
sure how to ID?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Bob Walsh 12-05-2005 12:42 PM

Mike,

You might take a look at californiacarnivores.com
tosee if your's is pictured. There are other sites if you google carnivorous
plants.

Bob

oups.com...

[email protected] 12-05-2005 06:01 PM

To have a reasonable chance of identifying it, you'll need to wait
until it starts producing mature pitchers. Then, if it is a species or
one of the more common hybrids, you may be able to ID. However, bear
in mind that if (as seems likely) you have a hybrid, any ID will be
tentative. Unlabeled Nepenthes are much like unlabeled orchids; It's
probably better to leave them unlabeled rather than risk applying an
incorrect name.

If/when you do try to ID your Nepenthes, remember that Nepenthes
hybrids are named under the rules of a cultivar system, not a Grex
system like orchids. So, a particular hybrid name will usually apply
only to a particular clone, not all hybrids with the same parentage.

Regards,

Nick

Mike 12-05-2005 10:04 PM

OK - I'll wait for it to grow a bit and then try to ID. Many thanks for
the advice.
Mike