Old 19-05-2005, 04:02 AM
Edmond Cormier

Default diatomite and diatomaceous earth

If one makes a Search: Diatomite and silicosis, one finds numerous warnings
by different U.S. govt. agencies on the dangers of diatomite and
diatomaceous earth.Some people use diatomaceous earth as a bug killer
thinking that it is not dangerous, like chemical pesticides. Masks, gloves
and body covering are needed. Even workers handling bags of perlite are
required to wear masks.
Ed Cormier

Old 20-05-2005, 02:45 AM
bob

Edmond Cormier wrote:
If one makes a Search: Diatomite and silicosis, one finds numerous

warnings
by different U.S. govt. agencies on the dangers of diatomite and
diatomaceous earth.Some people use diatomaceous earth as a bug killer

thinking that it is not dangerous, like chemical pesticides. Masks,

gloves
and body covering are needed. Even workers handling bags of perlite

are
required to wear masks.
Ed Cormier

Ed;
Diatomaceous earth is the skelital remains of diatoms. The diatoms are
minute sea creatures that lived melenia ago, at the bottom of the then
food chain and their skelital remains settled into what is now
diatomacious deposits. This is also known as Fullers earth and is used
extenivly in the cosmetics industry and in phrmaceuticals as a
filler.It is also used in the dry cleaning business to aide in the
removal of stains. I was never aware of health a warinig regarding this
product. Regarding "silicosis" which can be an invasive element in lung
disesase, I can see the reason for health warnings.
All things being said, I can see using diatomacious earth as a means of
retaining water in a potting medium, but a form of moss (sphagnum)
would be well considered.
bob

Old 20-05-2005, 03:18 AM
Ray

Sorry, Bob. Fullers Earth and diatomite are quite dissimilar.

OK, we all agree that diatomite is muds of prehistoric diatom's silica
skeletons. As such, it's almost 100% crystalline silica.

Fullers Earth, on the other hand, is a clay, made up of alumina, silica,
iron oxides, lime, magnesia, and water.

(My father thanks you all for letting me use my degrees in ceramic science
and engineering)

"bob" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 21-05-2005, 04:08 AM
K Barrett

So how'd you avoid becoming a dentist, Ray? Two of the biggest lecturers on
the dental circuit are PhDs in ceramic science and engineering...Ray
Bertolotti and Alton Lacy.

K Barrett

"Ray" wrote in message
[snip]
(My father thanks you all for letting me use my degrees in ceramic science
and engineering)

Ray Barkalow -

Old 21-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Ray

I went the refractories way, instead. (I've always been something of a
pyro...)

My first job out of school was with Corning, in product development.
Started out working on stuff for glass plant melters, developing products
that we fused-cast at as much as 2700°C, and later went metallurgical
(you've never been so nervous as when you've got to walk into an electric
arc steel melter just after it's been poured to inspect the
refractories...don't fall down!).

Coincidentally though, the girlfriend (now wife) of a roommate at school
when I switched majors to CerE became interested in teeth, and she now makes
a large percentage of the prosthetic teeth in the southeast in her basement
workshop.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
So how'd you avoid becoming a dentist, Ray? Two of the biggest lecturers
on
the dental circuit are PhDs in ceramic science and engineering...Ray
Bertolotti and Alton Lacy.

K Barrett

[snip]