Old 24-05-2005, 03:00 AM
J Fortuna

Default orchids in Star Wars

So I watched the latest Star Wars movie, and I liked it. But after returning
home, I thought that it did not have enough orchids in it. I rather thought
that Padme might have been portrayed as growing orchids to drive home the
fact that she is a hot house flower herself. Or maybe Palpatine could have
the habit of sniffing at his gorgeous but stinking Bulbo? Anyway, I googled
for "Star Wars" and "orchids" just in case, and discovered that actually
there is a scene in which there is an alien landscape covered with oversized
orchids, and I missed it! I guess I will have to watch the movie again. ;-)

Joanna

Old 24-05-2005, 03:16 AM
Ray

Palpatine and a Bulbo... I can see it now...a big bulbophyllum
phalaenopsis in a pot next to his throne/chair..."Come, Anakin, smell
the dark side..."

Old 24-05-2005, 03:44 AM
Dewitt

I see it in a large Wardian case with a ventilation system that has a
deep, breathy sound.

deg

Old 24-05-2005, 05:09 AM
Steve

J Fortuna wrote:
....................................... Anyway, I googled
for "Star Wars" and "orchids" just in case, and discovered that actually
there is a scene in which there is an alien landscape covered with oversized
orchids, and I missed it! I guess I will have to watch the movie again. ;-)

Joanna

Maybe you didn't miss it, maybe the author of what you read doesn't know
an orchid when he sees one.
I haven't seen the movie yet. I was thinking about going tonight but
didn't. When/if I go see it, I'll be watching for alien orchids.

Steve

Old 24-05-2005, 05:43 AM

Ok, as a fellow orchid lover and also one that has seen the movie I
can tell you this: I think I saw an orchid when Anakin and Padame (sp)
were in some living quarters (over by the window) but as for the giant
orchids maybe they were (huge!) but I'd say more like giant day lilies
or hibiscus because they were big flowers coming right out of the
ground.(real brief) The movie was great (star wars fan here-seen them
all) but hey I saw some young kids there and there's some stuff I know I
wouldn't want any young kids to see, You get into people suffering and
being tortured and it's the stuff nightmares are made of......Burr

Old 18-06-2005, 10:29 PM
profpam

t is a sorry matter what Hollywood does to the orchid community. Just
look to the movie, "The Orchid Thief" and find that the Ghost Orchid,
not known as a drug was used as not only a drug but also distorted in
size. The movie did not follow the book in which case it ended-up as as
a near flop.

The movie "Anacondas" attempted to portray a nutty quest for orchids in
its search for the blood orchid, which I don't think was even an
orchid. Anacondas were not only in the wrong part of the world, but the
writers in essence were geographically mixed-up in many ways. A farce
was made of not only orchids but those having a passion for them.

Now, we have another movie that does not not have a clue about the
orchids portrayed. Hollywood is still in fantasy land.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 18-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Dewitt

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 21:29:43 GMT, profpam
wrote:

t is a sorry matter what Hollywood does to the orchid community. Just
look to the movie, "The Orchid Thief" and find that the Ghost Orchid,
not known as a drug was used as not only a drug but also distorted in
size. The movie did not follow the book in which case it ended-up as as
a near flop.

Not that following the book would have helped the movie.

deg
Old 19-06-2005, 01:06 PM
Toni

"profpam" wrote

Now, we have another movie that does not not have a clue about the
orchids portrayed. Hollywood is still in fantasy land.

In my experience this is the case with any film or TV show made about any
topic in which the viewer is well versed.

In my case I have worked with dogs in a professional capacity for 33 years
as a trainer, groomer, handler etc. and cannot bear to watch anything
remotely regarding dogs. They always opt for the wacky owners with the
cutesy stupid story- it is unbearable and *so* not the way it is.

In this case your intimate knowledge of the topic just caused a focus on
everything that was incorrect and ridiculous- while 95% of the viewing
public hadn't a clue that the facts got crossed up.

Probably even Bruce Wayne feels the same way when he watches "Batman".

--
Toni
South Florida USA

oncidium star wars VS sugar sweet angel HFX guy Orchids 3 07-11-2004 05:05 PM
oncidium star wars VS sugar sweet angel HFX guy Orchids 0 07-11-2004 03:57 PM
oncidium star wars VS sugar sweet angel HFX guy Orchids 0 07-11-2004 03:57 PM
star wars day shazzbat United Kingdom 0 04-05-2004 01:06 PM
star wars day shazzbat Edible Gardening 0 04-05-2004 12:03 PM